Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, November 06, 2006

NYC Marathon 2006

Even though this was the easiest I’ve ever run a marathon, it was one of the toughest that I have done. The problem was that it was just too cold for me. I was cold from the moment I got off the marathon bus and remained cold until about mile 20. I am sure this wouldn’t have been the case if I raced it. However my race plan was to pace along with my friend Larry as training for the upcoming JFK 50 miler. We ran around a 9 minute mile pace, which just wasn’t fast enough to generate enough body heat to warm myself up.

For the first time I got to run on the upper level of the Verrazano Bridge. It is so much nicer than running on the lower level. Besides the much better view, running on the upper level is a freaky experience. The bridge deck starts to bounce up and down in response to all of the runners. It was a very strange feeling to have your foot suddenly fall down a couple of extra inches when you are not expecting it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Larry’s inclination was to run alongside the crowds and to interact with the spectators as much as possible. This is far different from what I am used to as I normally prefer to just be left alone and run as far in the center as possible. It was amusing at times, but was a bit too much sensory overload for me. I prefer to be in my own little world while doing an endurance event. The miles ticked off easily and steadily all the way onto First Avenue.

My one concern during the race was when I was climbing over the Pulaski Bridge into Queens. My ankle started to hurt around this time and I feared that it was going to get ugly quickly. However, it seemed to ease up once I crossed over it and it didn’t really bother me again.

I really started to get cold while crossing the 59th Street Bridge. I started to increase my pace once we got on it, but Larry admonished me not to start increasing my speed on the uphill. I replied that I was getting very cold and afraid that I would get hypothermic. He suggested I run ahead if I was getting that cold, but I wanted to try to stick with him for as long as possible in order to practice for the 50 miler.

Once on First Avenue though, I couldn’t hold back any longer. I was just too cold and needed to generate some body heat. I told Larry I needed to get going and easily sped away. I left him at around 16.5 miles and quickly dropped my pace to 8:30 as of the 17 mile mark. I finally warmed up at the 20 mile mark, just as I crossed into the Bronx. I was feeling so much better.

The problem with running a faster pace this late in the race was that I was passing everyone. I had to weave in and out of thousands of running which is very tiring and monotonous. Heading over the Third Avenue Bridge back into Manhattan, a runner in front of me suddenly slows down and crossed into my path. I tripped over him and was sent flying across the bridge. I was preparing myself to start sliding along the bridge deck when a German running mercifully caught me just before I was about to crash. I thanked him profusely, but felt very bad for him, because it appeared that his effort cost him a groin pull. Not much else happened from this point on. I slowly increased my effort and was running sub 8 minute miles by the end. My last mile was a 7:35.

As far as marathons go, NYC Marathon can be a pain in the ass. It is such a death march after you cross the finish line. It is a sea of the walking wounded as everyone meanders up Central Park’s West Drive to find their baggage car. It takes forever to get your bag back and all you get when you arrive is a really crappy bagel and an apple. I couldn’t wait to get my clothes back on and head into the subway.

My kids were very happy to see me when I got back home. We played together for a couple of hours and ate dinner. Afterwards, I rode my bike to a post marathon party a couple of miles from my house. I felt good enough to do several laps around Prospect Park. I didn’t stay long though as I was soon feeling very tired. I guess the beer I drank didn’t help. I rode my bike home and literally fell asleep within minutes of walking in the door.

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd Colby said...

VOTE TODAY!

Okay Charles?

9:36 AM  
Blogger Cris said...

Charles, thanks for posting the great race report. I looked for you, but never saw you and could only hope you'd have a good run.

Did you vote?

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home