Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

JFK 50 Mile Predictions

This past marathon was so easy to do. I guess that I have reached the point where on any given day I could run a marathon. Probably I couldn’t run 50 in a row like Dean Karnazes, but provided I don’t have a killer workout week beforehand I should be able to go out and complete 26.2 miles with ease. I guess I should be thankful for my fitness, but I am greedy and want more. You can never be too fit; you just have to work for it.

For the first time I really started contemplating how long it will take me to complete the JFK 50 miler. I am beginning to think I can do it between 9 and 10 hours. Maybe even an outside possibility of breaking 9 hours. A 9 hour pace works out to around an average of 10:48 minute miles. On paper that sounds very easy to do. I have never done anywhere near this distance before nor have any experience with the course, so I have no idea how reasonable this sounds. I like the idea of it though so I am making a sub 9 hour race my A goal, between 9-10 hours my B goal and completing it my C goal. My legs are feeling great right now, so I have confidence that this will be possible.

I looked back at my NYC Marathon entry and realized that I left off several thoughts and moments of the race. I guess that is what happens when I write my entries at 4am. One of the things I will remember from this race was the pitch black tunnel everyone ran through when crossing the 59th Street Bridge. There was a section of the bridge wrapped in a construction shroud which was poorly lighted. It was such an odd feeling running in total darkness with thousands of people around you that could hardly be seen. That must be what it’s like in an ant hole. I wished I had taken my camera with me. I would have liked to snap a few pictures while running on the top of the Verrazano Bridge and at various points along the course. I regret not doing so; maybe next time. I will just make sure to take it with me for the JFK 50.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Colby said...

I expect a very long and detailed race report from the JFK 50-miler. All the details. That is something I would very much look forward to reading about. I can only imagine the mental strain that it will present (to say nothing of the physical demands). I hope you remember it all and write it down. Maybe a little hand held recorder? Random thoughts each 10 miles or so that you can later insert into your race report? You should really use this as an opportunity to illustrate for us what doing an ultra is really like.

Thanks!
Todd

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home