Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, December 01, 2006

Pulled Along

I’ve gotten my workouts in everyday this week so far. This definitely would not have been the case, had I not had someone to pull me along. On Monday, I came home from work feeling distraught and exhausted. It was a bit difficult to make it through a day of work after having a nice and relaxing 4 day weekend. When I got in the door I headed up to my bedroom and could have collapsed for the remainder of the night on my bed and felt quite satisfied. However, I could let myself do that since both of my children felt like bike riding with me while I did my run.

It was a beautiful night and I had a great time outside with them. I was reasonably certain, that I was the only father running around with their kids in tow at 8pm in the evening on a school night. It felt good to know that I was doing something with them that was perhaps out of the ordinary. We ran down to Grand Army Plaza where all the TV network news trucks were around to tape the lighting of it for the evening news. It was a warm and peaceful night and the stillness was only broken by some big heaving, coughing and hacking guy that caught up to us at one point during the run.

On Tuesday morning I made arrangements to run with my friend Chris. Normally, I am not much for doing a night, followed by morning run, but I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to have some company while working out. Global warming was doing its thing and made for beautiful spring like conditions.

I didn’t think I would get a run in Wednesday, since I had early morning and late evening appointments. However, my friend Larry called me up and asked if I was willing to go for a run that evening. I told him as long as he didn’t mind it being around 8pm, I was definitely up for it, so we firmed up to meet at that time. We ran down toward Grand Army Plaza and then reversed direction inside the park and did another full loop back to our starting point. It was a decently paced run on another beautiful night. We talked about various ultra races that could be in our future and I look forward to doing some with him.

Thursday night was my only solo run in over a week. I think it was the warmest it has been all week – two thumbs up for Global Warming. I saw a couple of people I knew in the park, but other than that I was on my own. I felt pretty good and got a sense of what it might feel like to be running on your own in the night during a very long ultra marathon. I was in the groove and kind of felt like running all night, just to get a sense of what it would be like for when I do my first 100 miler. If I didn’t have to get home so my babysitter could leave, I probably would have stayed out for quite some time.

Today (Friday), I fear may be a day off. Besides doing an evening run last night, my wife needed me to stay up to help her with Microsoft Excel. I knew she needed a lot of help with it, the moment she asked me how to create a table in Excel. If you know Excel, then you know how dumbfounding that question is. I could get it in tonight, but I have the Asphalt Green Triathlon Club party to go to, plus I am doing a 5 mile race in Central Park tomorrow morning. Because I must do that race (I need it in order to get 9 qualifiers for the NYC Marathon) and I am thinking of going to this party, I may just be better served by taking the day off. I guess I’ll see how I feel later on this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home