Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Reversed

Today, I reversed what I did yesterday. I went for a bike ride first and then went for a run with my son on his bike. For a while this morning I was contemplating heading down to Coney Island to join my friends that were swimming, but I decided that since I was already feeling cold in my living room while wearing a warm long sleeve shirt, I would probably freeze to death should I have ventured into the water. Instead I gave Larry a call, found out that he was in the park on his bike, so I just decided to get the better workout in and join him on the bike.

Just like yesterday, we rode 23 miles together. One difference though was that I was distinctly feeling saddle sore. I guess that’s what happens when you ride two days in a row after not riding for over a month. I am sure the fact that I forgot to wear bike shorts during yesterday’s ride was a contributing factor to the soreness. We also rode in a pack for a while and I felt my HR starting to creep up as the leaders pushed the pace up the hill. I need to regain some bike fitness.

Overall, it was a glorious day to be in the park and the miles ticked off faster than I realized. I could have easily stayed out longer, but I didn’t want to ride alone and I wanted to spend time with my children. I still felt like working out when I got home and I hoped my daughter would accompany me on her bike for a run. She didn’t feel like it though, but my son surprised me and said he wanted to go. I guess he is getting a bit envious of the father/daughter time when we go out.

When I started to run, I realized that I was feeling a little tired. I just took it nice and slow. It just felt good to be outside with my son and easily running and talking. During the run I carried my son’s boomerang since he wanted to throw it around. He obliged me by agreeing to wait until after we made it our 3 mile loop. I don’t think I’ve thrown one before; the thing is pretty cool. A couple of times it slammed into the wet grass and stuck up out of the ground.

We threw it around for a while, but after about 20 or so minutes, I insisted we head home. I was starting to get really hungry and I desperately needed to eat. I bribed him to leave by offering to buy him a treat from Connecticut Muffin.

It was still early in the day by the time I ate, showered and changed into clean clothes. My kids were watching TV at this time and I probably could have gotten away with letting the zone out watching the thing, while I vegged out in my basement watching the Jets game. The urge to do just that was very strong. I don’t know how I overcame it. I guess it was just too nice of a day outside to let it go. The drive to get my kids outside probably comes from the same source within me that forces myself to go workout when all I feel like doing is laying in bed.

My announcement that we were going out provoked howls from my daughter who just wanted to sit on the couch watch a Disney channel program called Hannah Montana. Tears were shed and she suddenly came down with a headache and asked for some medicine to make her feel better. My son wanted to go out though and I didn’t feel like getting into it with my wife about whether or not she should stay home. I suppose it was also possible that she had a headache.

My son and I drove to check out the Red Hook Pier. I’d never been there and it looked like a nice day to check out the waterfront with the sun coming down over it. Here is a picture of us enjoying the scenery. From the waterfront, we moved onto the running track where we kicked a soccer ball around for a while. It was some bonus running around. We played for a couple of hours and then packed it in for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home