Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, November 19, 2006

JFK 50 Miler

My coach told me that people will think I am crazy when I tell them that I found this race to be very easy. I really didn’t find it difficult at all. I enjoyed every single second of it and at no point did I find myself wishing that it was over. It was a beautiful and pleasant course with plenty of aid stations along the way. The amount of support along it really sets you up for a successful completion. It really made for an easy race. Best of all they had plenty of Hammer Gel at every aid station. It was great to be able to get my fuel of choice.

The toughest part of the day was holding back in the beginning of the race. Everyone starts out walking the hill leading up to the Appalachian trail. It was a very weird feeling being in a race and seeing so many people walking. However, I guess there was no point in pushing so early when you have 50 miles ahead of you. Here is a picture of me with Larry, Willy, Van and several other friends of Larry. We all started out the race together.

The first two miles of the race is a climb up a highway road to the AT. I think we ran all of 50 feet on it. Once on the trail it was a combination of slow running and walking/climbing over lots of rocks. I loved every second of it. You didn’t really get to look around on the trail though as you had to keep your concentration on the ground. It was an exercise in looking down. The necessarily slow pace along the trail undoubted saves your energy for the later effort along the tow path on the C&O canal. I love trail running and had absolutely no problem with it. You did have to carefully watch your step as the rocks were plentiful and always ready to twist your ankle.

Towards the end of the trail, you come to a series of switchbacks that lead back down the mountain to the road below. You could make some time down them, but you had to go very slow at each turn. A single misstep off the trail at this point would see you falling down the side of the mountain. To remind you to be careful, the switchbacks were lined with yellow caution tape.

Having never run 50 miles before, I did get a touch of nervousness when I began to feel some very minor fatigue in my hamstrings. Navigating the trails forces you to use leg muscles that are not as frequently used when running on the open road. I was wondering how this would affect me later in the race, but I tried not to dwell on it too much. My only other concern was that I was going to be too cold later in the day. I was only wearing shorts, long sleeve dri-top shirt and my Hammer Nutrition tri top and gloves. Several times I started to get chilled and I was worried about hypothermia.

After the switchbacks, the trail went on for another mile. At this point you come out to an aid station just before the tow path begins. I ate a PB&J, drank some cola and water It filled me up and I felt great. It was then off to the path which had the canal on the right and the Potomac River on your left. The river was in a raging torrent and the sound of it was tremendous. It filled your ears with the sounds of rushing water for at least 5-10 miles. I am not sure the picture I took of it does it justice, but maybe you can get an idea of it. The tow path was completely flat and level and only marred by an occasional muddy spot. It was very easy running that was only broken up by the arrival of an aid station that was inevitably only a few miles up the road.

During the time on the tow path, it was really tough to concentrate on anything. Time kind of went into abeyance and was only measured in the time between aid stations and the time in aid stations. It was a very odd feeling. I guess it is what they call a runners high. The trail had mile markers along the way (not race markers), but I couldn’t concentrate long enough to mark my mile splits. I was only counting laps on my watch when I hit an aid station. Each aid station listed what total mile you were up to and how many miles until the next one. By only timing the distance between them, I could reasonably predict when the next one would arrive. Doing the mile splits in my head by using the trail markers was just not something I could do. I would forget in about a minute the time on my watch every time I passed a marker.

During the first half of the tow path, I was once again worried about getting too cold. I wished I had brought my running jacket with me and tied it around my waist. Eventually though, I passed the halfway point of the race and I stopped worrying. I knew I could pick up my pace soon and I would begin to warm up.

For the first time in a race I had to stop to take a poop in a Portosan. The first time was the aid station at mile 22. I was able to get in and out of a stall very quickly and catch up with Larry before he left the aid station. I felt much better after that, but by mile 34 I had to go again. This time there was a bit of a line and after doing my business I had to run for a bit to catch up to Larry. By this time though I was ready to begin running and after catching him, I told him I had to go see what I got and sped away. I ran a nice and steady rhythm and I felt as though I could go on forever.

Between miles 34 and 42, the sun really started to shine down over the Potomac and made for some beautiful surroundings. It felt good to run into the setting sun and see the sun’s rays lighting up the mountain side to the right. It was quiet and peaceful and I felt more at ease than anytime I can remember this year. As I came to the end of the two path at mile 42, I didn’t want it to end. Every runner at this point was given a reflective vest to use over the final 8 miles. These miles were run on asphalt roads that consisted of gently rolling hills. Since I didn’t have much distance left, I stated to push my pace a bit. I figured I was running around 9 minute miles at this point.

During my push to the finish a lot of people started to remark how good I looked and cheered my on. I felt great and was really running easily. It feels so good to be able to finish a long race strong. I know that a large part of this late race strength had to do with Larry keeping me in check over the first 34 miles. Next year though I want to try to break 9 hours. I think I can easily do that.

When I got down to the 2 mile remaining mark, I started to push it even harder. I was still feeling really good. I passed a lot of runners on my dash to the finish. With less than a mile remaining I really started to kick it. I began to feel some twinges in my left quad and I worried that something may be going wrong with it. I just hoped I made it to the finish before I pulled something in it. I was successful and crossed the finish line in 9:47:33 with an 8 minute mile for my last mile.

The finish was at a local high school, where you were able to use the showers and get something to eat. It was a real pleasure to be able to wash up and refuel so soon after the race. After showering and eating, Larry and Willy came in and we hung out for a while and talked with other about the race. We soon left on the bus that takes you back to the start (it took forever to arrive), went to the hotel and then got ready to spend the remainder of the night out eating and drinking. It capped off a perfect day.

Me and Larry at Start

5 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

Sounds like a great race. Congratulations!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Beanie said...

50 miles! and easy??!! awesome job, and great report.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Todd Colby said...

Congratulations Charles! Well done!

Todd Colby

3:15 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Wow... absolutely fantastic read; thanks for the report. You do make it sound fantastically easy and I'm convinced you're just born to do this stuff.

So if 50 was easy, perhaps a 100-miler is in your future? Badwater maybe?

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! 50 miles! Wonderful read as I look to begin putting on the mileage again.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home