Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Chopping Wood

Today we went to my brother’s house in East Hills Long Island. I didn’t physically go with my family, since I had my wife drive the kids, while I took my bike for a change of pace in my weekend ride routine. If I went the shortest route by street the ride is about 25 miles. However, I decided to take the scenic route to get my mileage up to 50 miles.

I started out by heading into Bay Ridge to ride along the Shore Road bike path. This took me along the lower Hudson Bay and under the Verrazano Bridge. From there it was into Coney Island, Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay. I then rode along the Belt Parkway to Flatbush Avenue for the ride over the Marine Park Bridge and into the Rockaways. I was able to make excellent time, since the wind was blowing west to east. I flew down Beach Channel Drive averaging around 24 mph and soon headed onto Atlantic Beach Bridge for the ride into Long Beach.

My average speed suffered a bit as I crossed the Atlantic Beach Bridge. They have strict policy of walking bikes over it and failure to do so is punishable by a $250 fine. Several riders were ahead of me walking their bikes so I had a feeling that the rule was serious and I was best off doing the same. I didn’t relish such a steep fine for riding over a quarter mile bridge.

Once into Long Beach, I rode down Beech Street through the main strip, and then went onto Park Avenue until it was time to cross back onto Long Island by way of Long Beach Blvd. I had turn by turn directions courtesy of Microsoft Streets and Trips, however I missed a turn and found myself too far east for where I wanted to go. I had a general idea of where I was and stopped by a Dunkin Donuts to ask someone directions to the various major highways. Unfortunately, the guy I picked to ask only knew directions for purchasing his favorite donut. It was clear he lived in the area but was completely clueless as to where things were. He just stood there with this stupid look on his face as if to say “I am really freakin’ clueless as to where I am, I just want a donut.” There was not much to do except thank him and ride on and head to the next major intersection.

Fortunately, I figured out where I was and headed back north and west. I had only gone a couple of miles out of my way. I arrived at my brother’s house 2 hours and 45 minutes after I started. Not a bad time and I averaged just under 20 mph for the trip including all stops.

Food was already being served upon my arrival which made for a very convenient finish. I drank a liter of water and ate some shrimp cocktail. I then grabbed a quick shower and felt completely refreshed.

My brother has a decently sized backyard which had several trees cut down a year of so ago. The remnants of which were stacked along the yard in the form of large logs waiting to be split for firewood. I grabbed his axe and spent an hour or so chopping wood. I hadn’t done that in many years and it felt good to get an outdoorsman type workout. My relatives couldn’t believe that I wanted to chop wood after riding 50 miles from Brooklyn. My wife called me a freakazoid. Why chopping wood would elicit such a response from my wife is beyond me. She just doesn’t get the pleasure one can get by doing physical activity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home