Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, March 27, 2006

Profound Thought of the Month (March)

I realized today that as I get older I am unwilling to take certain risks that I wouldn’t have given a second thought to in the past. One in particular is playing “Frogger” while trying to cross a busy NYC street. Usually, I am fearless, darting between moving cars in an attempt to get to the other side as fast as possible. This morning however, it dawned on me how foolish I was being standing along side the parked cars on Madison Avenue while trucks and busses were whizzed past me only inches away. I suddenly had visions of a vehicle swerving towards me and splattering me all over the asphalt.

I guess you begin to realize that you no longer care to take risks with your life when you have your family waiting for you at home. How could it ever be explained to my children that Daddy was killed because he wanted to get to work 30 seconds faster.

I wonder though if this type of fear manifests itself in some people to such an extent that they can longer leave their homes. Hopefully, this won’t be me in a few years. I don’t think I would enjoy being a hermit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hey Zeus said...

Interesting. I am always reminded by the saying that no one on their death bed ever says they wished they would have spent more time at work.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Halfway through reading your first sentence I knew what my response was going to be: you're a father now and that means different things than someone who isn't. I think that's the essential difference.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home