Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, March 17, 2006

AG Awards

I skipped Thursday’s workouts, but the reason was due to a triathlon obligation rather than slacking off. Last night was the Asphalt Green Triathlon Club awards dinner and I was requested to make an appearance. Actually, I think the wording was more along the lines of “don’t be such a cheap fuck and come out to support your tri club”. My coach told me to take the morning off and not to stress about getting a workout in.

I wasn’t actually moaning of the cost to go, it was more along the lines of I just preferred to go home to be with my children. If I knew I was going to win an award, I was more inclined to go, but of course those things always remain secret. The basic response to whether I got an award was along the lines of “you may be part of an award”. No matter though, after the come out to support your club comment, I decided that I should go.

Of course when I heard my wife tell my son that I was coming home late from work while I spoke to her on the phone, I heard him let out a loud “Awwwwww”. I felt terrible after that, but realized I should just explain to him that I may be winning an award that night and if I did I would wake him up and give it to him when I got home for coaching me so well. He seemed happy with that and told me to go.

In the end I did win a “gag” award, albeit one that came without any sort of physical evidence. That is no trophy, medal, certificate, etc. It was an award for most outrageous postings to the clubs discussion boards. He read a sample posting to the audience and I admit I forgot all about this one. The posting was in response to an organized training week in Florida during the month of February. Here is the post:

“Despite what Paul said regarding New York winters sending you into paroxysms of despair and sorrow, for those of you who want a winter training event closer to home, I am planning for The Frozen Century Ride on February 18, 2006.

This has nothing to do with the suspension of time. It will be a bone chilling ride of 100 miles in the beautiful mountains of Harriman State Park. Forget about the sunburn when windburn is waiting for you right at home. Besides, the human body can’t tell the difference between hot and cold at extreme temperatures. So with a little imagination you can make believe you are training under the hot Florida sun.”


I was then reminded of several other posts and really don’t see what was so odd about them. The post I made about doing a trainer ride in the sauna in order to winter train for a warm weather event caused many to wonder about my sanity. I can’t think of a more logic thing to do.

Unfortunately, in regards to my Frozen Century post, I didn’t get any takers and I also didn’t do the ride. Back in February I was lucky to get out of bed, much less workout. I am starting to itch for a trip back to Harriman though, so I will make a post looking for other who would enjoy 100 miles of hills and springtime chills. It should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home