Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Lost and Found

I found someone’s wallet on the subway last night. Actually, I should say the thing found me. I had reached my stop (homeward bound fortunately) and women pointed out that I had dropped something as I started to get up. When I looked down I saw a wallet and a cellphone power cord. I decided to take them with me, since it only would have gone to someone else who may not contemplate returning it.

The wallet is black and made of fake leather, folds in 3 sections and is secured together by a Velcro strip. It doesn’t contain much money and only had some basic information about the person. A NY State Identification card; specifically not a driver’s license so I know he doesn’t drive. Some medical insurance cards, which have a different home address and club cards to Pathmark and Best Buy. There is also some change and a couple of keys in a zipper compartment.

This person is definitely a smoker. I can smell old cigarette smoke wafting off of it. The most interesting item in the wallet is a one dollar bill with red print directing people to go to www.WheresGeorge.com. Unfortunately, at this exact moment the site happens to be down for maintenance. It won’t be back up for two more hours, but hopefully my second Ambien of the night will kick in beforehand.

Judging from the picture on the ID card, this person has lived a relatively hard life. He is only one year older than me, almost to the day, but looks to be around 50. He smokes, is overweight and has an access-a-ride card that lets him use the service when it is extremely hot or cold. I guess he would have been using it today, had the card not been expired.

Earlier this evening I was struggling against a problem that I’ve had several times in my life, after I’ve gained a large amount of fitness. I reach a certain point and then start slipping off the edge. It begins with a slow fall followed by an eventual acceleration into weakness. I think the apparent state of this guys life is enough to make sure I don’t fall down that path.

I can’t find a telephone number for him, but the handy advertisements that ask if you want to search on this person may find him. I tried one and for $7.95 I can find out all about him and possibly get his telephone number. If I do, should I be entitled to a $7.95 reimbursement from his wallet? I think there is just enough to cover that amount.

Maybe I should cover the cost of the search myself and throw in some bonus money into this guy’s wallet. That may make up for my thoughts where if the wallet contained a large some of money, I may not have contemplated returning it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home