Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, February 13, 2006

To Hades and Back

Email exchange between ST and Beast

Hey Todd -

Not sure I understand how to go back without looking back, but I understand about having to go back to Hades in order to get out of it. Thanks for sending it.

I am finally making a new blog entry which is why I am up so late. I am in a hotel in Melville Long Island and I have to leave here by 6:30-7am. The week is starting to pass and soon enough it will be years ago. I know at some point I will look back and say "What was so bad", because all I will remember was that during this time I felt such anguish and grief. Hopefully
at that time, my demons will have passed and I will have long forgotten what it is to feel such pain.

I probably won't be getting in many workouts this week. You should use that to your advantage to get an edge on me this summer. I am feeling somewhat better.

Beast
----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd
To: "Charles
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:20 PM
Subject: Hey Charles


I thought you might like to read this passage from a recent interview with Michel Butor (a great writer):

"We have to change our past in order to change our future. We must turn back and throw light on it to see it in a new way. What we need is archeology around and in ourselves.

There is a strong link between inspiration and childhood. When Proust wanted to experience a new childhood and become a writer, he had to go back to his first childhood. Things forgotten wait in the library of your mind.

It is a question of having to look back ward and yet not go backward at the same time. To free Euridyce from Hades, Orpheus was forbidden to look back at her and when he did, he lost her. Almost the same legend can be found in the Bible. It is the story of Lot's wife, who, when fleeing Sodom, looked back and was transformed into a pillar of salt. We have to be able to look forward, but to bring back Euridyce you have to go back to Hades. It was a very powerful memory, which was at the origin of the journey to hell. We always have to descend into hell in order to got out of it. It's also an open cycle."

- An Interview with Michel Butor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home