Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, March 06, 2006

Good Signs

I am going to take the fact that I woke up this morning and got out of bed a good sign. Not in the sense that I am alive for another day, but in the sense that I got up to do a workout. I wasn’t sure I would be able to rouse myself for another weekday, early morning workout for a while and the fact I was able to do so today is reassuring.

Granted today’s workout just consisted of an easy 4 mile run. I did it in Prospect Park and my reward for getting outside was the spectacular view of the sun rising over Prospect Heights and reflecting over the lake. While I didn’t physically find anything during the run like I did yesterday, mentally I was very happy to find that I was enjoying the run. It was a welcome change of pace to the nervous feelings I’ve been experiencing over the past several weeks while training.

My severe curtailment in training has put a damper on my once springtime plans. I was hoping to be run a sub 3 hour marathon at the NJ Shore Marathon, but it is obvious I am not going to be ready for that. In truth, this isn’t bothering me in the least bit, since I no longer have to worry about the suffering I would have to face to peak for this race and the physical discomfit I would have attempting such a distance as such speeds. My coach advises me to still do the marathon. He states “Two months and a marathon as a goal will help keep your running "honest."

I asked my other coach, that being my 5 year old son, if I should do Ironman this summer. Once again he said yes, even if it means me being away sometimes in the morning and not being around on Saturdays until noon. Both my children feel this way so far and as long as they do I will continue.

The true test towards my getting back in action will come tomorrow morning. I am scheduled to swim. This always takes a bit of effort as I have a lot of preparation required to fit in this workout. I’ll have to pack everything I need for a day at the office, commute about 12 miles by bike to the pool, swim and then change and ride my bike to the office. All this at approximately 5am through the streets of Manhattan. This hasn’t bothered me in the slightest in the past, but recently, it was the last thing I wanted to do especially after working 10 hour days. If I swim tomorrow, I’ll know I am coming back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pulling for you Charles. Welcome back. Hopefully I'll have a chance to redeem myself at Placid this year!

ST

9:03 PM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

I don't know how you tri guys do it. I have problems getting up just to run and I can't imagine getting up to swim or bike or a bit of all. Stay healthy and train hard.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home