Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Brooklyn Half Marathon

I really can’t or shouldn’t complain about how I did today. I could already guess that this opening statement is going to elicit a “you’re too hard on yourself” response from my coach.

I completed the race in 1:49:21. I did it will all negative splits which is a very good sign, especially considering when I crossed the finish line I had run close to 20 miles. I ran from my house to the start, which gave me about 6.5 miles of running before the race even began.

On the way to the start, I kept pace with the NYRR truck that was putting out the mile markers. I knew if I kept on pace with it, I would reach the start in time for the race. I also saw some other runners around Prospect Park as I was just getting underway to the start. Two runners asked me where the bus is and later someone asked me where the subway was located. I pointed it out to them and I was asked if that is where I was going. They looked at me a little funny when I told them I was running to the start – 6 miles away.

When I arrived at the start I saw many people I knew. Some were from my tri-club, others I know from training in Prospect Park and one friend I hadn’t see in over a year. I ran into my friend Rob and we decided to pace each other for the race. As we walked to the starting line we were wondering where in the crowd was our friend Todd. We finally found him around the 7 minute mile start. Todd was shooting for 1:30:00 and I was just hoping to finish. Here is a picture of us just before the start.

While waiting for the race to begin, I was starting to get pretty cold. I was sweaty and cooling down rapidly from my run to the start. The start is on the Coney Island Boardwalk and was exposed to a brisk wind. It didn’t help that the temperature was only 33 degrees. My hands felt like blocks of ice.

Finally the race began. Rob and I took it very easy in the beginning. For the first time I didn’t care how long it took me to reach the starting line. It was kind of a liberating feeling. We started at a 9:15 pace and slowly increased it.

At the 6 mile mark we would specifically pick off runners. One of us would point out someone ahead of us and we increased our pace until we passed the person. It was a lot of pink jacket with the cute ass or funny looking guy running shirtless. The process served to keep the run interesting.

We entered the park together and continued that way until the 12 mile mark. We then decided to go for it with whatever we had left. Rob pulled ahead of me on a hill and I followed closely behind. I thought I may be able to catch him closer to the finish, but he was able to keep his distance. As I entered the finishers shoot I heard and saw Todd cheering for me. Unfortunately I couldn’t find him after the race to take a post race photo. My wife and children met me at the finish line, but they were unfortunately about 1 minute too late to see me cross. Given the chilly conditions, that was just as well, as I didn’t want them hanging around in the cold for very long.

I saw a few more friends after the race and snapped a few more photos. Here I am with Lowell, Jason and Ben from AGTC. Photos done, I made my way out of the park and walked frozenly home with my family to have a big fat breakfast.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Sounds like you ran a smart race given the 6 mile warmup;-)

Progression runs are always nice too...especially when you get to pick people off for the last half of a race! It's always interesting to read about people's thoughts as far as "picking people off."

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home