Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, July 25, 2005

Ironman Lake Placid - 2005

While I was doing this race, I found it to be as pleasurable as dipping myself naked in honey and lying on an ant hill. I was uncomfortable and suffering for almost the entire race. I did not have that magic moment when I knew I would be able to cross the finish line. I didn’t know if I could, until I saw my kids waiting for me by the finishers shoot to cross the tape with me.

I did run a very good race. I held back on the bike through the first loop, which set me up for a strong second loop and an excellent run. For the first time in a Long Course Triathlon, my run was the strongest segment. I missed breaking 4 hours in the marathon by 4 seconds, only because I slowed down to run with my children across the line- 4 seconds very well spent. My swim was also good. I did the 2.4 miles in 1:02:54, which is over 5 minutes off my previous best. The 112M bike was in 6:01 – a bit slow, but oh well.

I pretty much knew I wasn’t going to be able to qualify for Kona on the first loop of the bike. My time was much too slow to give me the time I needed. I wasn’t riding poorly and could have gone harder. I knew if I did though, I would suffer on the second loop of the bike, and probably have a much slower run. To keep myself in check for the times when I felt the urge to push, I would sing to myself self the song “Relax, Don’t Do It” by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. It worked.

Even though I knew Kona wasn’t going to be in the cards, I did have some other goals for the race – Set a PR, break 11 hours and most importantly, beat my friend Todd. Todd had given me shit for the past year that he was a better athlete and would beat me in the race. I knew if I could stick to my race plan that he had no chance of doing so. I told him I would pass him on the bike and he would never catch me on the run. This is exactly what happened. At the end of the race, 11 minutes separated us.

Todd and I had a bet on the outcome of our race. Todd will now have to wear a T-Shirt stating that I am the better athlete and that I kicked his ass in Lake Placid. I invite any ideas for colors, wording, etc.

Here are the records for my 3 completed Ironman’s.

2004 IMLP – 11:28:01, 460 Overall, 109/344 for the Age Group (M35-39)
2005 IMAZ – 11:21:20, 278 Overall, 66/348 for the Age Group (M35-39)
2005 IMLP – 11:11:25, 251 Overall, 51/382 for the Age Group (M40-44)

I am going to sign up for the 2006 IMLP. I am sitting at a restaurant as I type this, furious hitting the refresh key on Active.com for the registration to come up. My parents came with me this year and the entire family had a very good time. Next year will be the year I qualify.





2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

hey man, sorry i am just reading this now ... but congrats! great your parents and kids were there this time with you. and hey, setting a PR and beating a friendly rival is definitely a good day in my book. you'll need to post pictures of Todd wearing the shirt!!!

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! Derek just told me about this:) Way to go...that is just so unbellievable!

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home