Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Ironman Dreams


As I cruise at 20,000 feet on my way to Ironman Arizona, I find myself thinking about various Ironman dreams. Do we all have them? Does the guy who sat next to me on the train with the Ironman watch dream of one day pushing his limits to see how far, how long and how hard he can go? Is he content in simply fantasizing about it while time on his watch slips by, while his body remains soft?

For me doing the Ironman is about seeing how hard I can push myself. Can I push myself hard enough to become part of the elite few who make it to Hawaii each year? Can I overcome the fear of not succeeding and the pain or sacrifices I make while I seek my own gratification? I will soon find out, but until I do I will also dream about other ways I can push my body.

As I fly over upper Hudson Bay and see the short distance that separates Sandy Hook from Coney Island, I already start to dream about swimming across what seems to be a short distance. I know others are as like minded as me. It is good to know that communities of people exist for just about every endeavor one might want to try. Many challenges exist in life. Some are worth taking on, others are not. I pray for the wisdom to know which ones I should attempt and the wisdom to know when I should stop.

My mind right now is blank and I have no conception of the race I am about to attempt. So much of training and preparation is mental. It is in fact the hardest part of the body to get ready. I struggle daily to clear my mind of negative influences so I can enjoy my Ironman dreams guilt free. I hope that when I am old and in my waning years I will look back in joy of my physical accomplishments without any guilt or regrets. I do not wish to sacrifice my dreams and desires and think “if I’d only done that”.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home