Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Tapering


I suppose you must be training for an Ironman to consider a 56 mile bike and 3 mile run a taper ride. Seeing that such a short ride wouldn’t take me much time, I left my house at the civilized hour of 6:45am. Mother Nature is reluctant to let spring weather arrive, so I was greeted with a 26 degree wind chill when I opened my door.

The cool air really didn’t bother me and I started off with an easy spin. I felt really good on my bike, making me feel somewhat justified for spending the money on a bike fit earlier in the week. I was a lot more comfortable and could tell I would have an easier time riding at IMAZ and would feel fresher for the run.

In a macabre sort of way, I missed the discomfit I was in from my previous fit. The aches and pains I would get from riding were a sort of penance for spending time away from my family. The sore shoulders, saddle soreness and GI discomfit I would often have after a long ride were my own version of a horse hair shirt over flogged flesh.

Now that I am comfortable on the bike and managed to get my GI problems under control, I will be in optimal condition to have my best possible race at IMAZ. Look out Kona here I come.

ST caught up with me at about 40 miles into my ride. We began our usual shucking and jiving and bantering about topics ranging from Tri bike gear to childhood stories. It made the time go by quickly. At one point we got to talking about how I think I will do at IMAZ. I started putting forth my best guess estimates for each leg of the race. I figure if I can do a 1:04 swim (likely), average 19.5 mph for the bike (possible), and run 8:00/mile (wildcard) with 7 minutes for each transition, I could do the race in 10:33:00.

ST I think was a bit skeptical of that possibility and I will be the first to admit that I really have no idea whether or not I can do those paces. In the end, my finish time will be what it will be. I will keep to my plan and run within the appropriate exertion levels for each leg of the race. Only then will I know what paces I can sustain.

Workout Stats:

Total Time: 3:37:00
Ride Time: 3:03:43
Ride Distance: 56
Run Time: 0:26:09
Run Distance: 3.0
HR: 136/157
TIZ2(130/148): A – 0:12:18, I - 2:51:19, B – 0:33:21
Calories: 2671




ST goes to meet the Beast. Isn't he a beauty?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home