Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Sneaker Dilemma

Another successful training run. Only half marathon distance so it was relatively easy to do. At first I was concerned that I was going to poop out sometime during the first loop, as my heart rate was taking a while to rise. However, I am going to contribute the sluggish ascent to superior fitness necessitating a longer warm-up period.

Today, before I started out, I weighed myself completely naked. The reason for this was to weigh myself before and after the run to see if I am fueling and hydrating properly.

My wife went to Asphalt Green yesterday to take the nutrition seminar given by Lauren Wallack Antonucci. Since my wife is already a Registered Dietician, we felt that her taking this seminar would add to her practical knowledge of dietary requirements for endurance athletes like me. I was extremely happy she went. I am hoping she will continue to explore sports nutrition so we can have an intersection of common interests.

Armed with the information my wife learned at the seminar, we calculated carbohydrate, sodium and protein requirements that I would need for my run. Weighing myself before and after the run, would tell us whether or not I was hydrating adequately.

I came back from the run weighing 4 pounds less than when I started. I think it was safe to say that I was seriously under hydrating for a run that only lasted 1:45:00. Another thing that we determined based on the seminar was that I need to consume much more sodium during training and racing.

I am wondering if I am beginning to develop Achilles Tendonitis. I have a feeling of twinginess in my ankles. It could be the culmination of all my distance lately, or my new sneakers not agreeing with my feet or it could just be psychosomatic, but I don’t think so.

I have about 100 miles on my current pair. I am in the midst of a sneaker dilemma. My old faithful, Saucony 3D Grid Triumphs have been discontinued. I went to go get the newer model of them, but they weren’t in yet. In the meantime, I’ve been running on Saucony Trigons. They have been ok, but my ankles are letting me know they are upset about something. The new Grid Triumphs just came in yesterday. With only 13 days remaining, I don’t know if it would be wise to try to break in a new pair. I will ice and take anti-inflammatories to keep it under control. If that doesn’t work, there is always amputation and the handicapped division. I will have to discuss this with my coach Neil Cook. He always knows what to do.

Run Stats:

HR: 144/155
TiZ (155/137): A - 0:0:00, I - 1:31:33, B - 0:13:38
Calories: 1429

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home