Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Lucky Day

I’ve forgotten what it is like to suffer because you are pushing very hard in a race. I haven’t done so in a very long time. Yeah, I’ve done a lot of long stuff, but never at an intensity that brings about that suffering feeling. I am not used to it anymore. Today was the first time I've pushed myself hard throughout an entire race in quite some time. It yielded my first sub 7 minute mile pace in almost 3 years. It's nice to know I can still have it in me.

For my pain, I was able to set a PR for the 10 mile distance and a PR for my Age Graded percentage. According to NYRR I ran at a 67.7% level which is the best I’ve ever done. I guess this means that I am in the best shape that I have ever been in, but I really can’t go by that since I haven’t “raced” a NYRR race in quite some time. Perhaps I was stronger in the past, but never knew about it. My finish time for the race was 1:09:13 which took over 2 minutes off my former PR.

Today was another spectacularly warm and sunny December day. I wasn’t even cold before the start and I was able to shed all of my warmer layers of clothes. I ran in shorts and lightweight long sleeve top. I even ditched my gloves although my hands were still a bit cold throughout. The only downside to this warm weather is the lack of snow to go sledding with the kids. However, it does make it great for racing, running and biking.

On other good news I just found out that I am the winner of a lottery entry spot into the 2007 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. I am shocked, awed, dismayed and excited all at the same time. I understand that it is very hard to get into this race and I am not going to pass up an opportunity to do it. The only downside to the race is that it is exactly 1 week before the Eagleman Half Ironman. I don’t know if I can justify to myself disappearing for two weekends in a row from my family to go race. Maybe I can get them to come to San Francisco with me.

I was so excited about winning an entry through the lottery, that I immediately followed the link I received in the email to sign up. It wasn’t until I paid and completed the entry process that I noticed that the race it said I was signing up for was the Wildflower Triathlon on May 6. Hopefully they will straighten this little problem up soon or I guess I will have a conversation with my credit card company.

Speaking of age grading I was watching TV after I got home today and saw a commercial for The Heritage Plan; a Funeral Pre-Planning product offered by some life insurance company. They are looking for people born through 1966. It’s nice to know I qualify for something else today as well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news about Alcatraz. Your family would probably love the trip there and an opportunity to tour around the city:) I'd go for it! Also, congratulations on your time for the 10 miler. I'm not racing, but it's a balmy 7 degrees here (celcius -- Canada!) and I'm running along the shore of Lake Huron. I love snow, but it's also liberating to have solid footing and to not need a jacket.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PR! Very nice. Glad you were out there too.

Of the Alcatraz and Eagleman races, which one will be harder or more interesting? Which will provide the fuller memories? Can you get into Eagleman any time?

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PR! Very nice. Glad you were out there too.

Of the Alcatraz and Eagleman races, which one will be harder or more interesting? Which will provide the fuller memories? Can you get into Eagleman any time?

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PR! Very nice. Glad you were out there too.

Of the Alcatraz and Eagleman races, which one will be harder or more interesting? Which will provide the fuller memories? Can you get into Eagleman any time?

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home