Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Thursday, December 07, 2006

I am a Lucky Guy

I went for a run last night with both of my children accompanying me on their bicycles. It doesn’t get much better than that. For a while it became clear to me how lucky I am to have two beautiful children who adore their father so much that they think a good time is to going bike riding with their dad on a winter’s night. We talked about all sorts of things, from when I was a child and doing some sort of sport, to picking out a X-mas tree, presents and decorating the house. I felt a warmth come over me and a feeling well being that I too rarely feel. It is amazing how something so simple as running with your kids can make you feel so good.

I felt so supremely proud to be going around the park with my kids as other runners and cyclists past us. It was like look at what my kids can do while yours are home sitting on the couch watching TV. My kids insisted that they wanted to go with me and would have been very upset if I told them they had to stay home. I don’t think words can express how much I love them and telling them so a million times a day is entirely inadequate to express the feelings.

After completing one loop around the park, we hung out by the entrance where they climbed on the monuments and insisted we take silly pictures of us together. We kept taking shots until we felt that we had a really good one. We didn’t hang around for too long, because I was starting to cool down and getting very cold. So we left to go back home where my kids raced their bikes to the end of the block.

My son was sneaking though, and took a head start. This upset my daughter tremendously so I had to figure out another sort of race that didn’t involve going back down to the end of the block to race bikes again. I decided on separating them about 20 feet from each other on different sides of the house. I then had them spin around until I counted to 20 and said they had to race up the stairs to the front door of the house. I made sure they kept their helmets on so they didn’t smash their heads in case they were so dizzy they fell down. My son started to make it up the stairs first, but at the last moment he lost his balance and my daughter was able to squeak by him. It was hysterical to watch.

3 Comments:

Blogger goose said...

it doesn't get any beter than that! it's wonderful that you're so close to your kids. what a special thing to share with your family.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

It's great to get out with the kids. My oldest (just turned 8) wants to know when she can run with me again. We did a bit together in the fall. Unfortunately we're into winter here and already have a foot & a half of snow. She doesn't have the gear for winter. I think she'll be gun-ho in the spring though. She's becoming a good freestyler & I'm so impressed that she recently broke a minute for the 50 free:)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Todd Colby said...

you're a great dad.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home