Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hamptons

I am spending the night in the Hamptons. I was already out on Long Island today and I didn’t see the point of driving back to Brooklyn, only to turn around first thing in the morning to head back out for a for a morning meeting in the Hamptons tomorrow. My friend Matt lives in the area and we arranged to meet when I arrived to do a workout together. Rather I should say I worked out by running 6.5 miles and Matt kept me company by riding his bike alongside me.

We went down towards the beach on a perfect early autumn evening. The temperature was around 70 degrees, with a pleasant breeze and beautiful sunset. It was the first time I’ve been to the area and I marveled at the size of the homes that lined the roads and along the beach. The roads were very lightly trafficked and it felt great to run along them in a quiet country setting. It was the complete antithesis of the type of running I did yesterday. I didn’t have to give one second of thought to dodging cars, cyclists or pedestrians.

The ocean looked inviting and I half wished I brought my swim gear with me. I will have to do it the next time I come out here. We continued down the road along the beach heading west towards the sunset. We kept going until I passed the 3 mile mark on my Polar. We probably should have turned around sooner as it was getting dark very fast. I wondered for a second if we would have trouble with passing cars. There were so few though, that I needn't have been concerned. The only difficulty is when cars passed us from the front, since they all seemed to be driving with their brights on, causing us to have a case of night blindness for several moments after they passed.

I did the run back faster than the run out. I guess having the wind behind me helped to increase my pace. As we headed closely to town it became very dark and difficult to see. We managed however and I returned back to my hotel turning in a 7:27 pace for the last 3 miles.

Matt went back home to get his car and I quickly showered in the hotel. We then went out for dinner and beer at a local brewery/restaurant and bullshitted the night away. It’s great to finally have a fun night when I am away from home on business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home