Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, September 15, 2006

Someday an Ironman

Today I almost skipped my workout. I couldn’t wake up early enough to get a run in and I didn’t get home until almost 8pm. I figured that I may as well forget about it, but I asked my kids if they wanted to go for a bike ride while I ran. I didn’t hold out much hope of that happening, but to my pleasant surprise, my daughter said she wanted to go. Granted I had to wait for Spongebob to end before she decided to go, but it was a critical episode in which Plankton was suing Mr. Crabs in a bogus slip and fall injury case. The outcome of the trial could not be missed.

I think it is fairly safe to say that we were the only father/daughter team out this evening for a run anywhere in the city. It was overcast and windy under the cover of night. We only saw two other people during our entire time around the loop in Prospect Park. My daughter likes to say how she is a lot like me, which was why she was finging it fun to be outside with me when the weather is a bit nasty and it’s dark outside.

I have high hopes for her being an Ironman someday. While we were underway she stated how she needs to become a better swimmer to do an Ironman. It wasn’t an if statement, but more of a when. I think she may actually want to do it when she turns 18. Besides the Ironman, we talked about school, work and all the sorts of things that fathers and daughters say. I was so glad to have her with me as it makes working out so much more pleasant to do. It’s nice to have company especially after several years of mostly training alone. Training with my own child is even so much better as I don’t feel like I am abandoning them to train; instead I am spending quality time with them while I am also doing something I love. If life goes well, I hope and expect to have more of this type of togetherness as time goes on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

I'm wondering how old your daughter is? I've been contemplating running while my daughter rides her bike, but I'm not sure if she's ready. She's 7, turning 8 soon. I have run with her, but she can't go far yet. Perhaps I'll give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration. I love reading your blog. I used to live in the city (Toronto), but now live in a VERY small town. You capture what it's like to train in the city & I miss that.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home