Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, September 04, 2006

Kept Me Honest

It’s Labor Day. I wonder why it is called Labor Day if everyone takes off from work. Work out wise, today was a recovery day for me. What I am recovering from I don’t know. I didn’t exactly have any intense workouts this weekend except for the John Daly Swim.

I went to run long on Saturday, since it was Tropical Storm Ernesto was in town and doing a long bike ride in that out of the question. I was looking forward to the run, since I thought that running in a tropical storm would be really cool. I love everything about stormy weather. I love the smell, the feel of the wind and the rain hitting my face. Something about it just makes me feel so alive.

My run started out ok, but as I approached the 7th mile, I suddenly felt something wrong with my bowels and it was all I could do to run the mile home. I don’t know what came over me, but my HR tanked and I thought I would have to duck into the woods to do my business. Fortunately I was able to hold it together and made it home where I spent the next 20 minutes locked in my bathroom.

All that being said, I didn’t do anything over the weekend that required my legs to recover. I got to bed late last night though so I was feeling kind of sluggish this morning. However, for motivation I had my daughter accompany me on her bike while I ran this morning. She is getting very strong on the hills and the pace she sets keeps my running honest. I can’t dog the workout when I am with her since I have to try to keep up with her.

On our second trip up the hill in Prospect Park, my daughter got quiet as she struggled to pedal up it at a speed where I can still run. I didn’t tell her to try to move faster, she just did it on her own. I didn’t say anything to her so as not to break her concentration. As we approached the summit though we looked over at each other and smile broke out on our faces. We both knew that she had climbed the hill better than she has had before and the look of satisfaction on her face was priceless. I told her if she keeps this up she will be so much stronger than her friends when the time comes that she goes bike riding with them.

When we returned home I felt true disappointment that we still weren’t out running. I suddenly felt like I had just warmed up and wanted to be outside much longer. Maybe she is ready to do a 20 miler with me. The marathon is coming up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

There is nothing quite like running in stormy weather. It's exciting! Where I train in Ontario (Port Elgin), we get a lot of winter storms coming over Lake Huron. I love running in a winter storm. The best was a couple of years ago when I had to count blocks to figure out when I'd get home. The snow and ice was freezing on my eyelashes. I loved it!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home