Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Thursday, June 29, 2006

200 Miles + 3400 Meters

Yesterday morning I woke up with a sore throat and congested nose. I knew I was coming down with something so I decided to get some extra sleep instead of schlepping to the pool at 5:30am. It meant I would probably miss the day’s swim workout, but I wanted to see the doctor to make sure I took care of the bug before it got out of hand.

I was also scheduled to drive out to the east end of Long Island for a meeting. By the time I got out of the doctors office, I was going to be very late for the 11am start. I thought perhaps I could just rest in bed all day, but the person I was to meet with really wanted me to be there. So somewhat reluctantly I got in my car and drove the 100 plus miles to the meeting, making it there by 12:30pm.

The meeting was already in progress and I was glad to see some good work was already accomplished. It finally broke up around 3:30pm, whereupon I started on my long journey home. The traffic on the way back would be much worse, but I hoped that I would get lucky.

In a way I did get lucky. The traffic was clear until I reached the Meadowbrook Parkway. This is right near Eisenhower Park and the Aquatic Center. I was feeling a little better by this time and since I was stuck in traffic, I decided to get off the highway and get my swim in. Hopefully the traffic would ease up by the time I finished. Also, my coach would be happy that I got the day’s workout in. Fortunately, I had an extra set of swim gear in my car, although I didn’t have a towel or lock.

I never really noticed before, but Eisenhower Park is one gigantic indoor pool. The configuration when I arrived allowed for 8 x 50M lanes, plus 4 x 25M and a large recreation area for kids and families. The pool was very crowded with a kid swim meet going on. Fortunately, I was able to get one of the 4x25m lanes and even had it for myself for a while. I hope no one would steal my clothes which I left in a bag on the spectator seats.

I really didn’t want to swim and felt this way through the first few hundred yards. After a while I started to warm up and the meters starting ticking away. Towards the end of my 3rd 1000M set, another triathlete came into my lane and started to draft me. He was right behind me and I tried to hold him off from touching my toes for as long as possible. I was very glad he was behind me because it gave me encouragement and incentive to keep moving fast. I was supposed to do each of my 1000’s faster than the previous and had he not been there I am almost certain I would have started to slow down. I held him off for around 700 meters with about 200 to go before he finally tickled my toes. I had a feeling I was starting to slow, so I let him pass and then tried to draft him.

The last 1000 was the fastest of the workout. I did another 200 to cool down. When I got out of the water the triathlete called over to me and we proceeded to talk for a few minutes. We talked about our drafting session and I replied I was glad that he was there. We are both doing Lake Placid, so perhaps I’ll see him in a few weeks.

Without a towel I relied in the paper towels in the bathroom to dry off. I probably looked a little silly, but I didn’t really care. I was happy to get the swim in and just eager to start getting home. The traffic was a little better and I made it home in decent time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

You can draft in the water? I didn't know that.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home