Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, June 23, 2006

Bitching and Moaning

I hate when I screw up my schedule. This is exactly what I did this morning by sleeping in until 6am. My intention was to get to the pool around 7:30am and swim for about an hour. It wasn’t until I woke up that I realized that the pool closes at 8am in order to switch the lane configuration from 50m to 25 yards. I wouldn’t have enough time to get in a decent workout if I tried to get in before 8am and I would be late for several morning weekends if I swam until 9:30am. I love the 50 meter pool, but having to complete my swim before 8am is really becoming a killer.

So all I have to do now is bitch and moan about my screwed up day. I have no idea how I am going to fit everything in. I have several meetings throughout the day and I am wanted home early to help out with my daughter’s birthday party. Looking on the brighter side of things, I got to wake up and see my son this morning. He is having a sleep over right after school, so if I went to the pool I wouldn’t have seen him all day.

While waiting on the subway platform this morning, I found myself standing next to a woman with her 4/5 year old daughter. Seeing them next to me reminded me of a quandary I face whenever I am next to parents with small children or pregnant women.

I will generally give my seat up when I see small children or the preggers on the train. The only time I don’t is if someone beats me to it or if they say they are getting off at the next stop. However, in the case of standing next to them on the platform, I’ll generally move up or down the platform so I will enter through another door. This way I can get a seat without having to feel as though I took a seat away from them should seats be scarce when we enter the train. Is that wrong? I can’t help but feel that somehow it is.

I don’t exactly enjoy giving up my seat, but I know it’s the right thing to do. I wouldn't want a woman to feel like this one. I’ll do it, but I wouldn’t mind in the least if they entered the train somewhere else. Riding the subway is one of the few times during the day I get to relax, which is absolutely impossible to do if your standing in a hot car packed in like sardines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home