Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Raw Oysters and Sushi

I think common wisdom dictates that raw oysters, clams and a raw sushi platter are not the appropriate items to eat before doing a race. That is just what I did though a couple of hours before this evening’s JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge Race. I was taken out to lunch to Rue 57 and my benefactor offered up the Oyster and Clam platter as an appetizer. I didn’t want to turn down the opportunity to sample such treasures from the sea so I threw caution to the wind and dug in. I backed up the raw shell fish with a sampler of raw fish.

As the hours progressed towards the race, I wondered if such a protein extravaganza would have an ill effect on my performance. I was feeling slightly queasy throughout the afternoon and I began to worry about intestinal parasites. I figured what my stomach lacked was a dose of carbohydrates, so I added a blueberry muffin to the briny mess in my stomach. My stomach didn’t feel much better after it, but my mind was more at ease knowing that my body had a more substantial fuel for the race.

My fears of a bad race were unfounded. As I lined up with the 17,000 other people I could feel my body getting ready to run. The start of the race was extremely crowded and slow and I was only able to move myself at a 9:05 pace for the first mile. The next miles were much better. I snapped off a 7:31, 7:02 and 6:42 pace for the remaining 2.5 miles. I guess raw shell fish isn’t so bad as a pre-race meal after all.

I hung around my company’s meeting area for an hour or so after the race. I was finally able to get back to my office around 9:20pm to pack my gear for my bike ride home. I was still feeling strong and rode a brisk 38 minutes from 57th and Madison back to my home in Brooklyn. I wonder if I will still feel this strong in the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morrissey said...

Rue 57 - awesome place for oysters though. But same here, i doubt i would have the guts to eat raw seafood before the race. Come to think of it, I had greasy burgers and sausages during lunch time and i came out fine :)

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home