Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Great Adventure

In order to recover from yesterday’s 102 mile ride, I decided to relax a bit and run a flat 20 miles in the Manasquan Reservoir. Actually, it was the only place nearby for me to run, since we spent the night at my wife’s aunt’s house in order to get an early start at Great Adventure this morning.

As I mentioned in a previous post this is a 5 mile loop over packed dirt trail. I intended to get some pictures of myself as a comparison between today and Thanksgiving 2005, but it was so humid that the lens of my camera phone was completely fogged over. For that matter so were my glasses. My Rudy Project glasses with optical insert are practically useless in warm and damp weather. I felt like Tommy of the famous song, especially when my mp3 player stopped working. I was running deaf, blind and definitely dumb since I could hardly see anything while running. It was a Great Adventure just making it through in one piece.

Other than my vision problems, it was a satisfyingly hard run. I did each 5M loop faster than the previous and finished just over 20 miles in about 2:50. The loop doesn’t have water fountains along it, so I relied on a water bottle stashed at my starting point. I took a healthy swig from it every time I passed it along with a Hammer Gel packet. It drizzled on occasion, but the thunderstorms the weatherman promised never materialized.

Fortunately, the lack of thunderstorms lasted through our days visit at Great Adventure. The threat of foul weather also kept most of the crowds away making for a very leisurely and line free day. We were able to go on all of the rides we wanted with minimal waiting time.

I am always amazed at the sight of overweight and out of shape America when I go to our nation’s amusement parks. It only seems to get worse as time goes on. I am so happy that both my wife and I stay in shape and set a good example for my kids. I wouldn’t want to be this couple who are so fat that their butts literally hang over the bench on which that sat. Their children were also huge and endemic of the couch potato type of kid who becomes susceptible to Type II Diabetes. I am sure if our nation's parents would recognize and acknowledge the potential health consequences they are subjecting their precious children, they would do something about improving their diets and encouraging exercise over video games. If they want further encouragement, let them check out the unfortunate children who through no fault of their own are born with Type I diabetes and are subjected to drawing blood and checking their blood sugar 6-10 times a day and receive anywhere from 2 to 6 injections of insulin a day. I don't wish such a fate on any child.

I really feel that allowing your child to become seriously overweight at such a young age is a passive form of child abuse and neglect. It sets them up for all sorts of health problems later in life, that could have been avoided had proper nutrition been taught and learned by setting good examples.

After we were finished with the rides, we went back to our car for a trip through the Wild Safari. You are supposed to keep your car windows closed, but of course I am not one to obey every rule I am told. This allowed a friendly animal to poke his head inside looking for food. I wanted to feed him some popcorn, but we were too busy looking, ducking and laughing to find it. It was one of the highlights of the day. Please let me know if you can identify what type of animal this is, as the website doesn’t have an index of the animals inside it.

After the drive through the park, we headed home for dinner at a local restaurant. Then it was take out the trash, throw the dirty laundry in the washing machine and the dirty children in the tub. It’s been a long day and I am ready to go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home