Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Perseveration

Perseveration
[L] continuation of something (as repetition of a word) usually to an exceptional degree or beyond a desired point; hence, perseverate, by back-formation "perseverate, perseverate, perseverate.." - anon

I suppose riding 30 loops around Prospect Park for two weekends in a row counts as perseveration. My desired point of riding around the park this morning was not at all, but still I did it. It caused me to wonder if the fact that I didn’t want to do this ride today, meant that I don’t really want to do Ironman. In the end I did the ride, so I guess I want to do the race.

Due to the threat of oncoming rain, I decided it wasn’t advisable to head to HSP. In a way, that suited me fine since I didn’t want to spend all of the extra traveling time to do a workout up there. I was hungry when I woke up, so I had a bowl of Kellogg’s Smart Start cereal. However, after spitting it up for the first 24 miles of my ride, I decided that perhaps that wasn’t such a smart start on my day.

I was really hoping for the rain to come down. This would alleviate my personal guilt about not going to HSP. I got my wish off and on during the ride, especially towards the beginning when the rain would come down with enough force to make my skin sting. Also during the first 20 miles of my ride, I had the company of Kona bound triathlete Jonathan. It was good to have company to break up a totally monotonous ride. After he left, I put on my MP3 player and just cranked out the miles. I maintained a satisfying 20.2 mph pace over the course of 102.5 miles.

When I returned home, I was caked in road grime. My once white socks were completely black. Even my buttocks were dirty from filthy water seeping through the fabric. I quickly took a bath and when I drained the water the white porcelain of the tub was covered with all the debris that washed off my body. The bath must have refreshed me, because afterwards I had enough energy to take my bike outside to hose off the accumulated gunk. Hopefully next weekend I’ll get in another HSP ride.


2 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

Good job on the ride today. It's good to have perseverence at time especially we are not in the mood to train.

Sorry about the cereal incident. I have had those days too especially with trying out new training drinks and stuff. Better luck tommorow.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

I purposely held off on my regular breakfast and still ended up heaving what I had into the bushes. Congrats on the 102 miles. I have no idea how you manage these things.

I don't know if you got one of the flyers they were handing out, but Marty Markowitz is presenting a family night - Jurassic Park free of charge Wednesday evening in the park. Long Meadow, 8:30 p.m. The flyer mentions fireworks too. Thought you and the fam might want to partake.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home