Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Union Square

I’ve had occasion as of late to walk around Union Square early on Friday evenings. Each time I am amazed at the number of 20 somethings that are out and about headed to various parties, clubs, bars, etc.

I find it disconcerting to know that I am 20 years removed from this scene. Perhaps this realization is what drives late thirty/early 40 year olds to pursue endurance athletics. It’s a way of showing they still have the stamina to go out and party with the best of them, albeit in a much greater physical sense. It’s as if, yeah I can go out and party all night, but can you post an 11 hour Ironman?

Perhaps it takes more effort to party all night long. I do remember feeling more tired after a night of carousing, than I did after completing an Ironman. Let the 20 year olds go out and poison their bodies with bad food and cheap liquor. I’ll take my nutritionally balanced meal, go to bed and head for the hills on my bike at the same hour the 20 year olds are stumbling home.

I only wish I knew then what I know now. I am sure I would have found it infinitely more satisfying to think back to the races and places I’ve competed, rather than how sick I got after downing too much Tequila.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hey Zeus said...

Well said. I hope they all wake up with massive hangovers.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

And Lance Armstrong ain't no spring chicken, either. Watching the olympics and keeping up with sports in general, I have noticed that it is in the mid- to late-30s where athletes seem to hit their prime, even in to the 40s. The world record holders in many many sports are (were) well past their 20s. Outside of the steroid cases, I wonder why it is this age achieves so well?

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home