Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Abuse Ride


Today was an abusive workout. Steady rain, wind and an air temperature of 51 degrees. I already started the workout tired from my past two training days. I really didn’t feel like being outside in the muck, but I forced myself to do it. My inner sadist drove me to continue, while my mind tried to rationalize what I was doing. I told myself to give the sadist at least 50 miles and then maybe he would be happy.

I was the only rider in the park for the first hour or so. Eventually, I saw another two riders. They made a comment about seeing another rider in the park as I passed them. That was the only time I saw them. I suspect that the elements were too much and they bailed out of the ride.

At one point during the climb up Prospect Park’s lone hill, I saw a bunch of young children tying ribbons around a May Pole. I thought it was odd to see them so early in the morning and in the rain. They didn’t stay for long after completing the pole and neither did the pole itself. After another hour or so, some people in a truck came to remove the pole. I didn’t understand the point of making a May Pole so early in the morning and removing it before anyone could come out in the park to see it.

I continued riding and the laps, miles and hours started to pass. One hour bled into two and then two into three. By now I knew I could finish my 75 mile ride as I figured I could keep lasting one more hour. I was very wet at this point and I started to feel a blister forming on the palm of my hand from my wet glove rubbing against it. My hands were very cold and when I stopped to take a piss break, the thought of running my hands under my urine stream to warm them up crossed my mind.

I was just over the 50 mile mark at this point and then my cellphone rang. ST called to let me know he was just rolling out of bed and would be in the park shortly. With some company soon arriving I knew it would be easier to pass the remaining miles.

On my next trip up the hill, I finally noticed that my front tire was looking a little soft. I checked it out when I reached the top and realized that it was probably just about flat for a while now. It has been well over a year since I got a flat so I really couldn’t complain. I sat down on the wet ground and took my time to change the tube. I used a CO2 cartridge to inflate the tire. The sudden decompression of the cartridge caused it to freeze. This is ordinarily not a problem, but since my hands were wet, the cartridge froze onto the palm of my hand causing immediate frostbite. Having a CO2 cartridge freeze onto my blistered palm is an experience I will not soon forget.

When I restarted riding, the ground had started to dry. The sun was starting to break through the clouds offering a glimpsed of the beautiful afternoon the day would soon become. ST finally arrived to the park at this point. He blamed his late start on some late night dinner companions, but I suspect he just wanted to avoid the rain. He is such a fair weather athlete.

By the time I arrived home, my bike was as messy as I have ever seen it. The chain was completely washed clean of lubrication and the drive chain sounded like an old car being started in the dead of winter. I took the bike to my backyard to hose it off, degrease and clean it. It took the better part of an hour to get it back into a somewhat presentable state. At least the sun was brightly shining at this point and the sun’s rays felt good against my still chilled body.

I spent the remainder of the day with my children in Prospect Park where we practiced hitting, catching and throwing a baseball (plastic). I am glad the weather cleared up to allow me this time in the park with them. It would have been terrible if I hung around the house until the weather cleared to begin my ride.

I read an email posted to my tri club (http://www.agtri.com/) message board about the group ride being cancelled because of the weather. What a bunch of slackers. Here is the message I posted in response to the cancellation:

--------------------
Hmmm. Come on people, you need to toughen yourselves up!!! What are you going to do if it is raining come race day? Bail out? You must train through all conditions to be prepared. You never know what race day will bring.

I back these statements up by reporting that I started riding at 7:30am this morning in the pouring rain and finished 73 miles in 4 hours. Full details of my ride will be posted on my blog later.

Of course, if conditions were dangerous; i.e. lightening, hail, hurricane force winds or tornados, I would have bailed out. In bad conditions, just stay local in Central or Prospect parks. Persevering through tough conditions will give you the mental fortitude to excel on race day.
----------------

I probably insulted or pissed some of them off with this posting, but I don’t care. You need to be tough to do your best. This includes training in bad weather.

Here are my ride stats:
Time: 4:00:41
Distance: 73
HR: 139/163
TIZ2: A – 0:44:25, I - 2:38:08, B – 0:38:08
Calories Burned: 2933
Calories Consumed: 1000
Water Consumed: 48 ounces




Lots of gunk today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home