Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Iron Bet


Reader Note: The following is an email conversation (thread) between Beast and ST. It is in reverse chronological order.

--------------------

Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:48:43 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: ST ST [+] [ ]
Reply-To: ST ST [+]
To: BEASTBEAST [+]

Okay Beast. You're on.

You should go ahead and make a t-shirt now that says (on the front)

"Super Todd Kicked My Ass All Over Lake Placid"

and on the back:

"It's All About The Run And I Learned The Hard Way"

Yay!

Oh boy, i can hardly wait,
ST

-----Original Message-----
From: BEAST BEAST

Sent: Apr 20, 2005 8:32 PM
To: ST ST

Subject: Re: web0216.pdf

ST -

Don't embarrass yourself. I don't know Derek beyond a few email exchanges, but he is a real person.

Here is the only allowance I will make for the race. Should outside influences force one of us to DNF, then the bet is off. Outside influences being cars, trucks, spectators, etc. that cause us to crash, get injured or suffer unrecoverable mechanical breakdowns.

An outside influence is not a fellow athlete passing gas in front of you causing a gag reflex.

Acts of nature are not outside influences, e.g. a squirrel in the spokes.

I know why you are so eager for ways to call off the bet. I saw the look in your eye. It is fear. You are afraid of losing to me and you want the option of any possible excuse to explain your demise. That is your only reason.

Let's make our bet very simple. The loser has to wear a shirt in public that proclaims the other athletes superiority. It is simple, cheap and will fill the loser with humility.

Beast

----- Original Message -----
From: "ST" ST

To: "charles" BEAST

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: web0216.pdf


B:


My theory:
Derek = Charles.


It's so sad that you're replying to your own posts.


Okay, how's this: anything goes in the IM. That means if you hurt your skinny lady legs trying to train with me and my fast, muscular, and durable legs, I win. Remember that okay?


I'm willing to run or ride with you tomorrow, but I don't want to see you cry when I run ahead of you as your HR spikes and the lactic acid burns the few muscles you have in your legs. Promise me you won't cry.


I am,
SUPER TODD



-----Original Message-----
From: BEAST
Sent: Apr 20, 2005 3:16 PM
To: ST ST


ST -

I too ran in the park this morning. I am so glad you had already split so as not to embarrass yourself in front of me with your overweight lumbering form.

I continue to slim down and am becoming leaner, meaner and faster. My superior running talent, speed and economy are going to dust you so bad.

Your wakeup call after I decimate you in LP is going to kick you in the ass so badly, that if you were a dog you would be licking it for a month.

Did you see the comment posted to my blog? I have no idea who the person is. Here it is for your reading convenience:


Derek said...
this "super todd" sounds like a big wuss. he is making excuses already. i'd wager there is a lot that can go wrong in an ironman - what if you twist an ankle during the run?


10:01 AM


I agree with his assessment. Wuss!


B

--------------------------------------------

B:

I have a short ride and long run on the agenda for Sunday.

It is supposed to rain however.

Perhaps if you choose not to do that race we could do some long course swimming, should the weather be foul, that is.

I ran 12 miles this morning. Briskly. Kept pulse at 138-140 while hammering out 7 minute miles. Robert tried to keep up and chat, but I silenced him soon after he joined me.

I am so much faster than you, and as my weight comes down (172lbs currently, with 160-165 as the goal on a 5.11 frame, I will only get leaner, meaner, and faster). Consider yourself warned. I so rule the park that they should name it Super Todd Park.

ST

-----Original Message-----
From: BEAST BEAST
Sent: Apr 20, 2005 7:18 AM
To: ST ST
Subject: Lincoln Tunnel Challenge

Do you want to do this race with me on Sunday? It sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Coach Neil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Coach Neil said...

I know you both and I've actually coached you both.

Your bet really should be for something significant. This T-shirt thing is kind of lame.

Every race gives away a free t-shirt and most wind up in a thrid world country.

TriCzar

2:23 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

hahaha ... thanks for standing up for my existence!

you can pass S.T. my blog if he continues to doubt me ... although it sounds like he's a much better athlete than me, I shouldn't be talking out of school.

I do like the T-shirt bet idea, though. What could be more significant than public humiliation?

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home