Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Frying Pan or Fire


So yesterday was a big day for me. I finally gave notice to my employer that I would be leaving. I had a great 5 years with the company and I have memories that I will cherish forever. For a time, my position was the ultimate dream job.

However, the time has come for me to seek new challenges. I may very well be substituting the frying pan for the fire, but I will not know until I get to my new job. Whether this turns out to be the case, it really doesn’t matter. I know I was getting burned out where I was. I simply need to remind myself for my reasons leaving. I am looking forward to my new challenges ahead and excited to begin.

For some reason my brain started thinking about the ultimate decision of Frying Pan or Fire. I think of the unfortunate souls in the WTC who made the decision to leap instead of being consumed by flames. I only hope on the way down they didn’t doubt their decision.

Today, I did an easy 21M ride. I felt great and recovered. No HR spikes from Fight or Flight responses. I rode with ST. We discussed our bet on the outcome of Ironman USA Lake Placid. ST wants to put a condition on the bet that it is cancelled should one of us suffer mechanical difficulty on the bike portion. I am not of the same mind on this point.

While I understand his contention, that this is a friendly bet and considerations should be made for circumstance affecting the outcome, my feeling is that mechanical difficulties (flats, chains, etc.) are all part of the race. I think the bet should stand no matter what. Most likely I would let him off the hook if his bike broke down, but as far as the bet, it should stand regardless. It is all part of the day. I invite opinions to this question. Please post your response to the comments section below.

Here are my ride stats:
Time: 1:13:28
Dist: 21
HR: 133/158
Calories: 854

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

this "super todd" sounds like a big wuss. he is making excuses already. i'd wager there is a lot that can go wrong in an ironman - what if you twist an ankle during the run?

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home