Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Virtual Tri Duel


Reader Note: The following is an email conversation (thread) between Beast and ST. It is in reverse chronological order.

--------------------

Let's see... When was that marathon PR of yours?? 10 or 11 years ago, when you were a much younger and a not so delusional athlete?

Let's take some recent statistics... The following is your recent Brooklyn Half Marathon result. A race that you rested for and prepared for with Race Day Boost and whatever PEDs you may have taken.

ST M42 BROOKLYN NY 353 316 45 1:34:14 1:33:31 7:08


Here is my Men's Half Marathon result one week previously, on a tougher course (Central Park), on a full training week, 85 mile bike the day before, and a 4 mile race prior to the men's half marathon:

BEAST M39 BROOKLYN NY 160 160 74 1:34:45 1:34:41 7:13


You beat me by one measly minute when you were trying to run your fastest and I was taking an easy 13.1 mile stroll in the park.

It does not take a rocket scientist to see who the better runner is.

I also need to remind you, that it is you who always lobs the first volley on the superior athlete argument. However, I am an accommodating individual and will allow you this foible. I know you need it to keep yourself inspired and motivated. I have no need to rub salt in the defeated's wounds (which you soon be). The agony of their own defeat is pleasure enough for me.

I am,

BEAST


----- Original Message -----
From: ST
To: BEAST
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 5:38 PM
Subject: Math Lesson


Actually Miss Beast, I'm 5-6 minutes faster than you in the swim and nearly 20 minutes faster in the Run. If the tables were turned you'd be renting billborads in Time's Square to announce it to the world. I quietly assert my superiority, with class and humility.

Biking, you got me by 12 minutes. Proportionally 5 minutes in the swim is like 30 minutes in the bike and 20 minutes in the run. Assuming the bike norm is 6 hours and the run norm is 4.

I win 2 events to your 1, sad yet?

Your stand alone marathon time beats mine only by 10 seconds or something...where did you do it? Out in Jersey in some flat as a pancake uncrowded course. Oooh I'm scared. My best half-marathon time: 1:25 in Prospect Park (4 loops). Yours? I win yet again.

I can't wait for Placid so that I can put all this "who's better at IM?" to bed, forever. Please Charles eat right, take yr vitamins and try to keep your delicate girly body healthy so that I can run past you at Placid and not slow down to see how your feeling as you shuffle home. Remember: please stay healthy so Super Todd can have a tasty Beast snack in the mountains.

See you in the park.

The (Far) Superior Athlete,
ST

-----Original Message-----
From: BEAST
Sent: Apr 16, 2005 12:45 PM
To: ST
Subject: Re: Today's Ride

S.D.T (D for Delusional) -

My god man 165 pounds!!!! That is Athena class, which is sincerely how I think you should enter yourself with your girlie running form. Biking for that matter as well.

You will never catch me on the bike. Never. It is a fact, get over it. As
for the run; let me just remind you of which athlete has the faster marathon
PR. That athlete would be me, posted only last year when I was not nearly
in as good of shape as I am now.

Yes, your lone IM marathon posting may have been faster than my two IM
marathons. However, it is simply a matter of me getting my nutrition right.
I will be working out this problem in race conditions while you tool around
Prospect Park endlessly.

For now I concede you the swim. Take your extra 3-4 minutes and have fun.
I will save that time in transition alone.

Work up a good appetite my friend. You will need your calories to have any
chance of catching me this year.

Beast

----- Original Message -----
From: ST
To: BEAST
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: Today's Ride


Hey Beast:

I had a feeling you were in deep recovery mode so I rode on. I did 60 miles and then went over to R and A to have the creeking sound checked out. They greased up the seatpost and tightened everything, so far so good. I'm right at 172lbs, which is good for me this early in the season.

Getting down to 165lbs will be a breeze in the coming weeks with these 16 (+) hour weeks, up to 20 (+) come May and June, whew! I am so going to kick your ass at IMLP, especially on the bike (swim and run I could kick your ass right now). Thank you for understanding.

Tomorrow is a brick day for me. 4 hour ride, 1 hour run or 2 hour ride 2 hour run. I'll see how the bike feels tomorrow. I'll be out early to avoid all the yahoos, who seem to take over the park after 9:30 AM. Idiots! Letting their little children swerve into the bikes, people crossing the road without even looking and then shouting at you when you shout to warn them. Idiots!

Yes sushi. Tomorrow 4PM, yummy. Call when you're close and we'll come
running down.

I'll probably see you in the park before then.

ST



-----Original Message-----
From: BEAST
Sent: Apr 16, 2005 8:17 AM
To: ST
Subject: Today's Ride

Hey ST -

I am glad you went ahead. If I could have caught you, I would have told you to ride on. Obviously I am still recovering although my body feels fine.

As I begin my next phase of training, I am going to try to keep better track of my nutrition. I will keep a log of everything I eat. It will be difficult and often times just a guess. I like my weight right now and I want to control it.

I am out for an easy 3-4M run tomorrow. I'll run opposite your direction so maybe we will pass a couple of times.

I'll pick you up for Sushi around 4ish?

Beast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home