Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Frozen Water

I felt like a frozen stream today when I went out for my run. I don’t know what happened to have made this so, it just felt like I had no energy and no desire to continue. I took a couple of walking breaks within the first two miles and flirted with taking a shortcut home instead of completing a loop around Prospect Park. I decided to go for the full loop to see if things improved by just pushing on.

If anything, my pace only got slower and I couldn’t get my HR up to acceptable levels. I tried not to be discouraged at my apparent lack of strength. I am trying to tell myself that this isn’t happening because I don’t feel like training anymore. I feel better when I have a good workout; I am just having trouble getting started lately. Maybe it is just the winter blahs. I wished I had someone to run with this morning. Perhaps I would have perked up a bit more and not felt so bushed. I completed a pathetically slow loop of the park and then called it a day. I wasn’t running fast enough to keep myself warm, despite the many layers of clothes I was wearing.

How does a person recapture the drive and fire they once felt to train? On a deep down level, I want to continue. But there is also a level inside me that is saying enough for a while. Take it easy, kick back and relax. Really though, this is not an option. I know where this alternative will take me and its not a place I want to go back to. I refuse to become one of the overweight and out of shape Americans that you see walking all over the place. I can’t do that to my body again. I want to live a very long life and that can only be achieved by taking care of your body. Signing up for races is a way to keep my focus and train towards a goal. Maybe I will feel better once the weather turns warmer again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

Chalk it up to the weather and just being tired. As warmer weather approaches, you'll feel great again.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Todd Colby said...

I've been experiencing the same thing lately. Like the very air I'm breathing is tired air. Ugh. We'll be in Harriman sooner than you think, I'll be making you laugh -- or gag -- at my see-through shorts.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home