Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year’s Day 2007

I had my best run of the year today. I can say that, because that is the most applicable way to describe it. It was really very good otherwise I might have described it as the worst run of the year. I ran with Larry around Greenwood Cemetery and then back through Prospect Park. It was raining, but the temperature was mild and the conditions were quite pleasant despite the rain. This is the second New Year’s Day in a row I ran with Larry, which is the start of an annual tradition as far as I am concerned.

I wasn’t sure how far I wanted to go this morning, but as we crept up on 6 miles, I definitely felt like going longer. However, we were both doing the annual Polar Bear New Year’s Day dip, so we had to go home to get ready for that. I really couldn’t believe that I was going to do it, especially since I’ve been having such trouble with the cold. However, Larry’s wife Kathleen promised her famous Hot Toddy’s and Chili back at their house for all dippers. It was something that is far as I am concerned is worth the suffering of a little cold water.

As a special treat, my daughter decided to come with me. I was very happy to have her along to watch the spectacle. I figure if she comes to enough of these events, she is eventually going to want to do one. Today she was the official event photographer. It was just fun having her with me and laughing at all of the funnily dressed people. We got a picture of ourselves with King Triton.

While we waiting around for the dip to begin we threw a football around the beach. I hadn’t done that in a very long time. It was just a lot of fun to be hanging on the beach with a bunch of friends. The fact that it was the dead of winter and we were about to plunge into the cold Atlantic made it all the better.

When the time came to go in the water, everyone ran at the same time and took the icy plunge. Everyone was yelling, screaming and splashing. I am not sure how I did it, but I got in and dunked my head underwater. Everyone from our group did not just one time, but three. My daughter was waiting for me every time I came out of the water laughing, smiling and taking pictures.

After three times of plunging into the water, we dried off, dressed and set to cleaning up our little beach campsite. We didn’t hang around much longer after that and headed back to Larry and Kathleen’s house for post dip festivities. The Hot Toddy and Chili was everything it promised to be. A perfect way to warm up after the cold swim. I was content to stay there all afternoon, but I soon had to leave for New Year’s dinner at my in-laws. It was a busy day and a good start to the New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home