Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What’s a Triathlete to Do?

I find myself getting foiled to get in my cycling or longer workouts. This is especially true since this past Thursday when I left work for my ride home and I discovered a flat tire once I mounted the bike. I had an evening affair to get to and the sky was imminently threatening rain, so I just bailed on the ride and took the subway home. I figured I wouldn’t miss the ride much, since I was scheduled for a 100 miler in Harriman with Todd the next day.

Friday morning however, I awoke to steady rain under a severely clouded sky. I watched the weather channel for about an hour before I finally succumbed to the fact that a Harriman ride was just not in the cards for the day. Instead I went to the pool with Todd where I swam around 3300 yards. It was an ok swim. I really couldn’t have done much more as I was slightly fatigued from swimming on Thursday morning. I took the rest of the day off and helped my wife with some errands.

I really had to get in a quality long ride, so I had not much choice but to go to Harriman on Saturday. For me to get in close to 100 miles, this meant leaving my house by 4:30am in order to start riding by 6am so I could be home for a 2pm soccer game. I sort of came close to that time, by starting my ride at 6:40am. The early start meant I was going to miss my daughter’s 10am soccer game, but I had to be home for my son’s for which I am the team’s coach. All during 80 minute drive I kept thinking how I just should have stayed home so I could have spent the time with my kids and seen both soccer games.

The only thing that kept me from turning around was the fact that I arranged with my friend Walter (WALTA!) to meet me up in Harriman. Walter had the luxury of a later start, since he was free from parental obligations until after 5pm in the evening. I was looking forward to the company, but I feared that I would probably be holding him back, since I knew he was in excellent shape this year.

I was climbing up to Tiorati Circle for the second time when Walter rode by me in the opposite direction. He came this way in order to meet me sooner rather than later. I was pleasantly surprised how early he was since I didn’t expect him for a while. I was also very impressed with how easily he started climbing the hill. I felt like I was towing a trailer full of bricks and Walter looked like he was being pulled up by a (skier puller). I rode with Walter several times last year and I could immediately sense how much stronger he is this year. I think he stands a good chance of qualifying for Kona this year.

During the 3.5 loops (45 miles) I rode with him, Walter would easily pass me when climbing. I would usually catch him on the down hills and at first when I passed him, I wondered if I was getting too far ahead of him. These illusions were quickly shattered. Every time I started back up a hill he would zip by me just as that thought was completed. I couldn’t even hang on his wheel during the straightaway’s.

Walter was encouraging throughout and I greatly appreciated it. After 5 loops and 70 miles, I’d had enough and was running out of time. I finished around 11:25. I could have squeezed in another loop, but then the stress of making it back in time for my son’s game would have been very high. I decided that it was best to end it early, rather than end it a little late. I felt an immediate psychological relief once I came to this conclusion. I was able to relax and drive home, instead of getting all stressed out trying to make it home on time.

After the game, I took my daughter to get a new bicycle. She graduated from a 16” wheelbase to a 20”. We didn’t have much time to ride it, since we all went to a Red Bulls game at the Meadowlands. All the kids that were part of Brooklyn Ayso got to walk on the field. Since I am a coach, I was able to join them. It was pretty cool to walk on the field. The Red Bulls won, which capped off a long and fulfilling day.

Sunday I set out to do a 20 mile run. My daughter wanted to join me on her new bike, but I was leaving a bit early for her. I couldn’t wait for her since we had a family affair to attend that started at high noon. I went ahead of her and told my wife to call me when she was ready. I ran about 8 miles when my phone rang. Fortunately I was close to home and after 10 minute delay to get her out the door we headed back for the park.

We were keeping a pretty good pace, when we happened upon a classmate of her brother’s, who was riding his bike with his parents. His mother rode, while the father ran. I started talking to them about getting the boys together for a run/ride when the boy’s father ran in front my daughter, whereupon her front wheel hit the back of his foot. She pooped off the bike and skinned her knee. This pretty much ended the run. She howled in pain for the slow ride back to our house. By the time I dressed her wound, I was stiff, sore and didn’t have much time left. The 12.3 miles I got in would have to do.

I spoke to my coach later in the day to explain why my run was shortened. He told me not to worry about it and that as long as I felt good while I ran, that the lack of distance really didn’t matter. At some point though, I really have to get in my longer workouts. If only just to prove to myself that I can still do them.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home