Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Crack Addict

I am so freaking nervous and depressed today that I can’t stand it. I feel like a crack addict about to rip off a liquor store in order to get enough money for his next fix. I suppose the drug I am coming down from is called endorphins, those mood regulating chemicals that circulate through your body.

I’ve taken two days off from in an attempt to recover from Bronchitis. During this time my mood has decidedly taken a downward spiral. I guess the lack of exercise has allowed my endorphin levels to drop and I am feeling the effects of withdrawal. Taken from the Wikipedia website, exercises that are most likely to produce endorphins include running, swimming, cross-country skiing, bicycling, aerobics, etc. I wonder if there are any studies that show people going into black holes of depression and despair from lack of exercise.

The thing about depression is that it is hard to get motivated to exercise. The endorphin rush is like a raging fire. However, the endorphin fire is difficult to start when you are too depressed to exercise. It’s a nasty catch 22.


2 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

Puts me in mind of a Garth Brooks song called "Standing Outside The Fire". I guess it could be talking about endorphins; though I think it's mostly about adrenaline. I use this song to get motivated sometimes, especially when I need a "do or do not; there is not 'try'" moment.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow! You're a pretty good writer! Great job capturing the funk of not training - I took 6 weeks off after the Chicago marathon. NEVER.AGAIN.EVER. Feel you, but not much you can do with bronchitis - have you tried some core work? That might help...just get over the hump, and you'll be good.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home