Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Lactose Intolerance

It has been a positively soupy weekend, perfect for some hard efforts. I’ve become very accustomed to the heat and don’t mind training in it at all. Yesterday, I did a moderately paced 52 miles on the bike and today I did 10 miles worth of running.

The run today was a bit of a struggle. I set out to do 2 miles at 8mm, 2m at 7:45, 2m at 7:30 and 2m at 7:15. The fastest I could manage was a 7:31 pace which I did beginning at the 3 mile mark for 5 miles. Once I got to 8 miles, my legs developed a leaden feeling so I just took an easy jog for the remaining distance.

I cooled off at home by going in my inflatable family size pool. My son joined me in the water and we spent the next hour playing shark attack, Seahorse Bronco busting and underwater explorers. The cool water was the perfect way to let my legs and body recover. My son really seems to enjoy the water and my optimism remains high that he may follow in my Ironman footsteps.

As I write my journal for today, I sit at my brother’s house away from almost everyone else. I decided to have a post run recovery drink consisting of a large glass of chocolate milk with some whey protein. It was positively delicious and refreshing. However, I am somewhat lactose intolerant and my colon is blasting out incredible amount of foul smelling gas. I suppose I should be happy that I am at least passing this gas, instead of being double over in pain from gas cramps.

I guess the fact that so many people are lactose intolerant is one of the reasons why no one has invented an energy drink/gel with lactose as its main ingredient. Imagine a marathon where the energy drink was milk instead of Gatorade?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home