Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Dead Battery

I am ready to give up. I went out today for a 10 mile run, but after two miles I ran out of energy like an old battery. I felt like a toy that starts to move slowly and then eventually stops altogether. Then when you open the toy you find forgotten and corroded old batteries in it. It’s like my body has forgotten how to move. Perhaps it’s due to interrupted sleep over the past couple of nights. I had a work project going on and I was on my computer late into both nights checking on its progress. Fortunately the project went well and I didn’t have to deal with much fallout.

Despite the crazy work hours, I did manage to get in two reasonable workouts on Saturday. I managed a 90 minute bike followed by a 2000 yard swim. Both were done easily and I was glad I completed them. The best part of the swim was that I had my kids with me in the next lane as they took their swim lessons. It was fun for me to be swimming and seeing my own kids swim by my side. They are ambivalent about continuing them though as I think they prefer to relax on the weekends for the next couple of weeks. They have been busy with basketball, soccer and swimming and I think they just want to relax on their weekends for a while. To tell the truth, I will be happy for this break from activity. Perhaps without these obligations, I can get a little more focus on my training and enjoy it, instead of feeling like I have to rush through it to take care of my fatherly duties.

I was also able to get in two decent workouts on Friday. I had taken the day off from the office and managed to get in an ok 7 mile run followed by 2000 yards in the pool. It’s great when I can be a fulltime triathlete; I just wished I enjoyed the workouts more.

I do really not understand what is going on with my body right now. Every workout just seems so difficult. It is like some sort of malaise has infected my body and mind. I am not looking forward to the workouts and when I go, they are such a struggle. I am not sure which problem comes first. Am I not looking forward to the workouts since they are a struggle or are they a struggle because my mind is not into them? Maybe it is just the cold and dark winter dragging me down. Spring is fortunately on its way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hang in there, man. sometimes we need a break - have you tried tapering your mileage? Maybe switch gears and focus on swimmnig for a while? Instead of struggling through a 10-miler, maybe do some short-distance intervals? Anyway, just a few suggestions.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Morrissey said...

dude you are working too hard! you need to give yourself a break. Grab a nice cold beer ;)

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some events and stories in nyc that might lift your running spirit.
http://inside.nikerunning.com/category/new-york

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home