Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, April 07, 2006

Busy Week

If I had the time to make blog entries over the past few days, the title of this entry would have been different. Yesterday’s entry might have been called “All Stuffed Up”, which would have served the dual meaning of describing my nose as well as my day. Thursday started out around 3:30am when I was unable to remain asleep, so I padded into my kitchen to have a snack. I tried to go back to sleep, but after lying in bed for 45 minutes, I decided to just head to the pool.

I rode to Asphalt Green (11 miles on a 75 pound bike), swam 3200 meters, ran 3 miles, showered and then had a 30 minute meeting with some AG staff to discuss some business issues. From there it was a sprint on my bike to my office to make an important 9:30am meeting. I made it in time to change into my suit and tie and get to the meeting with 2 minutes to spare. I was then crushed with appointments, meetings and emergencies until after 7pm. By the time I rode home it was after 8pm, whereupon I had another 60 minute telephone call with a friend to discuss other business matters. Fortunately, I was able to choke down my dinner while on the phone and managed to tuck my children into bed at the same time.

On Wednesday, I would have titled my entry “The Rain, Ice and Snow”. Early in the morning it was raining, so I did a trainer ride in my basement. I was also supposed to do a 6 mile run, but since I didn’t have time in the morning, I did it during lunch. I was in Long Island for the day and the weather reports from the city stated that it was very windy and a couple of inches of snow had fallen. The storm was making its way east, so I tried to get in my run before it moved into my area.

My route would be an out and back course along a fairly high trafficked secondary road. When I started, it was barely misting, so I had hopes that I would beat the storm. It did start to rain a bit harder as I ran further away from my office, but nothing too serious. However, when my run reached the point where the out turned into back, the rain started to get harder, the wind kicked up into my face and the temperature started to drop. I was then confronted with wind, traffic, rain and snow blowing into my face as I headed back.

My Rudy Project glasses really fog up in wet and cold weather. They got so bad, I was able to see better running without them, despite the fact my vision sucks without my prescription lenses and the snow and sleet kept hitting me in my eyes. Truth be told, I really didn’t mind the conditions as I found them invigorating and I was quite enjoying it. It is easy to work out when it is nice, but persevering through tough conditions makes a workout that much more satisfying for me.

Tuesday’s entry would have been called “Sticking to it”. I was slightly ambivalent about getting to the pool on Monday night, but I knew I needed to force myself to go come Tuesday morning. When my alarm clock went off, I forced myself out of bed, got ready and headed to the pool on my bike. If ever there was a day to stay in bed, it was this Tuesday morning. It was raining slightly, much colder than usual and very high winds.

As I made my way down the slope to the Manhattan Bridge, I had to pedal hard to keep me moving downhill; that is how hard the wind was blowing against me. I flirted with turning back for a moment or two, but I knew if I could just get over the bridge the doubts would go away and I would get everything in. I made it to the pool for my swim. It was a good thing too, since my coach happened to be on the deck and was able to give me a couple of pointers to improve my stroke. The small change really made a difference. After that, it was a full day of work, a late evening downtown appointment and then the ride home. I got home a little after 9pm.

Monday would have been called “Nothing”, since I took the day off from training. I was too tired from staying up the night before watching “The Sopranos”.

Speaking of being tired, since I got to bed so late last night, I knew I would be skipping the trip to the pool this morning. I didn’t want to stress over it, so I planned to just do my scheduled run.

I woke up around 6am and soon got dressed and started on my run. I was too pooped out however and stopped running about a half mile into it. I did not feel like struggling through it since I knew it would soon get ugly. I figured let me save whatever strength I have left and to go home and eat. This would hopefully allow me to recover enough to get the run it at lunch. Mentally, I am disappointed that I couldn’t get to the pool and my body wasn’t ready to run. Maybe it’s the best thing though, since I will be out very late tonight, taking my son to the Knicks’ game. Although with the way the Knicks are playing, that might be like a punishment.

Dad and Son at Scotland Run

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home