Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Birthday Suit

Since my Hamstring pull yesterday, I’ve gone through feelings of shock, anger, sorrow and despair. I can’t believe I hurt it and can’t run. I am leaving on a business trip this evening for a convention in for Las Vegas and the only thing that was going to get me through it was the ability to take a nice run in the desert. Now I am contemplating not packing any running clothes at all to prevent me from attempting a run before it is healed.

To compensate for the inability to run (or probably bike for that matter) today, I decided to join my Cibbows friends for a swim in Brighton Beach. I figured going for a swim at the beach was better than moping around the house moaning about my injured leg. It was also time I broke out my Orca P-Flex wetsuit for its first official test drive.

I made arrangements to get to beach with Cristian, who was also driving Jonathan and Sondra. The four of us met up with 8 other hardy ocean goers for a swim on a beautifully clear and mild day. During the drive, I made mention that today was my birthday. Sondra got everyone to sing me Happy Birthday while we all stood together for a picture.

Even with my wetsuit, I wasn’t sure I wanted to go into the water. My tolerance to cold has been non-existent and I wasn’t sure I felt like suffering through a frigid swim. I have to hand it to my Orca P-Flex though. The thing kept me nice a toasty warm. The worst part of swimming in very cold water is the shock and pain of the cold about my face. I knew if I could force my way through it though, I would quickly get used to it and not feel it at all. This is indeed what happened and I wound up swimming further than I thought I would in 55 degree water.

The water itself, although cold, was very clean. You could see the bottom through at least 15 – 20 feet of depth. Crabs, fish and horseshoe crabs were all visible as you swam. Sondra plucked a horseshoe crab out of the water and showed it to everyone back on shore.

Once the swim was over, the non-wetsuit wearing bunch sat huddle in a semi-circle shivering, which reinforces the nickname of the group – “The Shivering Idiots”. I guess the feeling is you have to be an idiot to swim in such cold water. I wish I had some of that cold right now, as the jetBlue terminal where I am finishing this entry is blazingly hot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

I'm going to have to check out brighton beach; sounds like a nice place to spend a Saturday.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home