Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, April 28, 2006

Just Do Something

Friday, April 28

Despite my feel like a loser comment from this past Tuesday, I managed to put in some decent workouts this week, albeit none of them swimming. I still can’t grapple with the thought of getting up so early in the morning to throw myself into cold pool water. I am becoming a big fat wuss in my old age. I am back in the mode of “just do something every day” and something, doesn’t necessarily mean swimming.

Tuesday evening, I did manage to get out after work for a run. I only had an hour and I wasn’t sure how far I would go. I left from my office at 57th and Madison for Central Park. Footsteps after I left the building, another runner came up behind me and asked where it was. I told him to just follow me as that was where I was headed.

“Doug” was from the Washington DC area and in town on business. I got to play tourist guide with him as I pointed out the landmarks all around the park. I was glad for the company as it kept my pace honest. We also had a lively conversation. I pegged him as a Triathlete and he admitted that he was doing Ironman Lake Placid this summer. I was able to offer him advice about the course; which was done only because he is not in the same age group as me. We did a full loop of the park and by the time we returned to my office, 7 miles were covered.

On Wednesday, I ran on the byways of South Huntington and Melville Long Island. An out and back 6 miles over a moderately trafficked roadway. It was nice, breezy and sunny outside, so I really didn't mind running amongst the cars. It seems as though running is the only thing I can get myself to do lately. I am able to do it without much of an effort.

Thursday was another loser day. I turned my alarm clock off the moment it sounded and went right back to sleep. I did the same thing today as well. I did get in an easy 4 mile run with my daughter keeping me company on the bike and today I did a 31 mile bike ride. At least I still know how to ride.

I am really struggling and searching for my motivation for this year’s Ironman. I think the problem lies in the fact that I am not trying to do it for the right reasons. I have to want to do it and give myself permission to do so. Right now when I get going, the pleasure of it is missing. I guess I am imagining reasons why I shouldn’t be doing this. I wonder though, if this isn’t just my mind playing tricks on me, like it does when my body gets fatigued during a long training ride.

Hopefully, I will discover my passion during the New Jersey Marathon this weekend. Thus far, I’ve hardly given this race any thought. I am sure lots of people right now are all worried about it and getting ready for their big event. I’ve spent more time taking a nice long piss than I have thinking about this race. Maybe however, it is just what I need to get focused.

One item to note from today’s ride was the two times I was approached by two different riders to ask me what my Bento Box was. No one has ever asked me this question before. To top it off, both riders were on Van Dessel bikes. To have the same question asked by riders of an uncommon bike on the same day is an odd coincidence. Perhaps it was the time of the day (around 12-1pm).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home