Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hungry and Depressed

The good thing about being confined indoors for working out due to inclement weather is that you are able to catch up on all of the TV you missed while you were otherwise sleeping or working out. For me, this is usually means flipping on a movie that passed through the theaters while I was too busy sleeping to spend a night out in the Cineplex.

This could have both desired and undesired consequences when it comes to the tempo of your workout and your mood upon its completion. Sometimes what I watch is action packed with a good music sound track which helps elevate my HR into acceptable training zones. Other times the movie that captures my attention is slow and depressing which is not conducive to a good workout and will leave me feeling defeated and depressed by the end. I should know better than to let myself get snagged into watching such a movie, but sometimes there is just nothing else on the myriad of premium channels my cable system delivers to me.

The movie I watched today wasn’t depressing, but it had moments of melancholy and regret. I am susceptible to mood fluctuations in the morning dependant upon my visual and auditory input. The movie that I watched this morning set me up for a tough day, where the last thing I felt like doing was going to the office to work. If only I could have hopped off my trainer and lived the life of a full time Triathlete, I am sure my mood would have been much better for the remainder of the day.

Somehow I managed to survive the day. It was very tough. It didn’t help that I used up my comfort crutches by 1pm in the afternoon. This usually consists of the food items I bring from home. By 11:30am I had already eaten my lunch and at 1pm, I already snacked on my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I escaped the office around 3pm in search of the fruit stand vendor around the corner of my office, but for some reason he wasn’t at his customary spot. I was now too hungry as well as too depressed to go look for more food.

As my training has slowly increased as of late, I find myself always being hungry again. I am going to have to start stockpiling food in my office to fend off the inevitable hunger episodes with comfort foods that elevate my mood. The only problem with eating all of the time is that it leads to frequent trips to the bathroom and excessive amounts of gas; but that is another story.

Enough kvetching for one day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get gas? I find that very hard to believe.

What movie did you watch?

Your Daddy

9:26 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

I've been very hungry lately, too, and am also contributing it to increased training.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home