Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, August 26, 2005

It Could Be Cancer

I don’t know what is wrong with me lately. Over the past 3 days, I feel like I’ve completely fallen apart. On Wednesday I set out to do an 8 mile run. I barely made it 2.5 miles, before I was reduced to walking and just limped my way home.

Yesterday, I had to take my wife and children to the airport to catch a 6am flight. I had to wake up very early to take them to JFK and by the time I got back home, all I felt like doing was going back to bed. I had intended to either cycle or run in the evening to make it up, but after dealing with some hideous rush hour traffic that kept me in my car for over 2 hours, all I felt like doing that night was eating and vegging out. I further justified skipping my workout because I still had to pack in order to join them late this evening. By the time I went to bed, all I had packed was a pile of clothes on the floor that I intend to shovel into a suitcase just before I leave for the airport today.

This morning I decided to run 5 miles. I wasn’t going to do it hard, since I didn’t want to kill my legs just before a long flight. I needn’t have worried as I could barely manage an 8 MM pace. It felt like I had lead in my legs.

Perhaps I am dying. I’ve felt some strange congestion in my lungs that I am convinced is an early form of cancer or asbestosis. I base this conclusion on the fact that I probably breathed in a lot of dust several years ago when I self renovated my basement. I’ve had my lungs listened to by doctors several times over the past few years, but they could never hear anything that would be indicative of a problem. Maybe I just am developing asthma; but that doesn’t explain why my legs feel dead.

I am probably a bit burnt out from the training leading up to Lake Placid. I wish I could just hang around with my children all day and watch TV all night. Work is interfering with the former and my need to wake up to train for the marathon is interfering with the latter. It is definitely a crime against humanity to require working during the month of August.

I will be in Puerto Rico late this evening, where I will soon join my wife and children. Perhaps I won’t run at all while I am there, or if anything, just do some slow runs on the beach and snorkeling with the kids.

As a parting note, I better get myself healthy soon. I noticed that the Lottery entries for the 2006 Kona Ironman Championships is now available for registration, so I signed up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

Now you know how my lungs feel every time I run! No, sorry.... that wasn't fair.

Maybe you are getting sick, but isn't it more likely you're simply overtrained? Maybe you really should just call a screeching halt for good week...

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home