Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, January 21, 2005

Discussion on Winter Hoffman Island Swim - Part II

C,

I know you were very kind to me in response to the incident I had as a child jumping into freezing water. You took the time to explain to someone you have never met what probably happened, and that swimming in a group is a way of keeping an eye on each other. I am writing to say that I'm relieved you decided not to do this swim, and not knowing you, didn't think it was appropriate to suggest or urge that you hold off for warmer waters. That is where my hopes were as I was concerned for your safety, and I am glad there were others to voice theirs who know you better. In the meantime, I give my full support for your ironman training and hope one day we can meet in Coney Island.

Naama

[Original Message]
From: C
To: Capri
Cc: <pk;
Subject: Re: Hoffman Island Swim

Greetings All;

For those who are wondering, I did not do my test swim this morning. A number of factors converged to make today an untenable option (weather, work, family, etc.).

Several people have also been expressing concern about my wisdom and/or sanity in pursuing my present course of action. I have decided to take these dear friend's advice and somewhat modify my endeavor.

Capri - If your Polar Bear colleagues would have me join them in a full wetsuit, etc., I would like to join you the next time you guys head to the water. This way I will at least be with other people when I take to the surf.My window of opportunity for doing a winter attempt is closing. It will be soon that I need to start heat acclimating for Ironman Arizona. If I can't do the test swim this weekend and make a Hoffman Island attempt within the first weekend in February, I am afraid I will have to forego visiting the seals and make the attempt after the spring thaw.C --

--- Original Message -----
From: "C
To: "
Cc: <pk;
Subject: Re: Hoffman Island Swim

Hi C, You are a driven wildman ... After the swim yesterday, I rinsed my booties and left them outside to drip dry. When I picked them up 1/2 hour later they were frozen solid. During the swim - which was a short 5 minute dip because the water temp. was 39 degrees - my feet were ok thanks to the booties, but I lost all feeling in my hands. I'll bring and wear my cold water diving gloves next Sunday. You are pushing the limits attempting the Hoffman Island swim at this time ... You would get more takers if you tried the swim at the end of March or April. The water temperature is still dropping - hits bottom in February.

Capri

-------------------
on 1/15/05 12:46, wrote:
Charles-

You are a wild man

Go For It!

BTW What Time?
Robert

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:34:49 -0500 "C writes:

Everyone -
I will be conducting my test swim Monday morning. Tim is kayaking with his friends from the Boat House in Manhattan and aims to meet me there. Do I have any other takers? The day promises to be invigorating!

Carpe la mer!

C

----- Original Message -----
From: "teri To: <pk Cc: <bb; <c
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: Hoffman Island Swim
C

I am interested, and the swim sounds pretty good too. Where will this beer drinking be?

Robert
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:22:57 -0500 "Paul writes:

C,

I'm interested in meeting with you but Friday doies not work... let me know when you meet again....

Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home