Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Eagleman 2007

This is actually a misleading title for this post, since I am not doing the Eagleman Half-Ironman Triathlon for the first time in 4 years. This is due to the fact that I had to attend my brother’s engagement party today. Perhaps though not being able to go was for the best. Based on my run Friday, in which I was only able to run 6 miles before I pooped out, I am not recovered enough from Alcatraz to put in much of an effort for a Half Ironman this weekend.

I am kind of bummed out I am not going. It would have been good to go with my friends Todd and Rob again. Perhaps I should call them at 3am this morning and crinkle a paper bag over the phone, since that is what I did last year when I was with them. I was eating a blueberry muffin out of the bag at the time – hence the crinkling. They said they were going to miss that.

There are benefits to me not going to the race. I was able to see my son’s baseball game this morning and I will be able to go to another game of his tomorrow afternoon. My son and daughter are sleeping over my in-laws this evening, so at least I will be able to get in a long ride tomorrow morning. I was thinking of going with Larry and the Iron Riders group up over the Bear Mountain Bridge from the NY side and heading back home through NJ. I decided against that though since the ride is likely to be 130+ miles and I don’t think I am in shape enough to do that, plus I couldn’t guarantee I would be home for my son’s baseball game at 3pm. I might just ride 100 miles in Prospect Park or perhaps go to Point Lookout. If I go to the Point, I could stop by my brother-in-law’s apartment for some refreshments and a bathroom break. Plus I could get him to drive me home if I get too tired.

This is pretty pathetic that I am worried about getting tired and not being able to get back home from a ride. I don’t know if it is all mental or if realistically I am just not in shape. I guess the answer is both. I don’t have the drive to push myself to my limits this year. I am too concerned with being home on time and spending time with my kids. I don’t want to risk riding away from home and suffering a mechanical breakdown and being stuck miles away. Better to play it safe and stay in the park so I could always easily bail out.

Deciding where I will ride will be a morning decision. Even my wife though thinks I should get out of the park. I’ll probably do the point. At least that is closer to home. I may as well get to sleep now so I can get an early start on the day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd Colby said...

We did indeed miss you Charles. Now go make hotel reservations for us for next year!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you possibly NOT be in shape? You JUST finished the Escape from Alcatraz Tri!! You must be in incredible shape!

- Karch

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home