Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Guitar Lessons

Saturday, I woke up still feeling tired, but good enough to go for a run. I met my friend Chris in the park and the plan was to run 10 miles. Prospect Park was crowded with large fields of cyclist racing around the loop. It was also a beautiful morning, which also drew a large number of runners. We were running against traffic and several times encountered asshole cyclists that felt it they owned the road. We were narrowly missed riders speeding by, including one schmuck who threw his elbow out at us.

After 5.5 miles of running, I decided that I would cut my run short. It wasn’t worth pushing onto 10 miles and further tiring my body out. I’ve been under a lot of stress at work and I didn’t need the added stress of trying to run a scheduled distance.

Chris and I got together later on with our sons to play catch and practice basic baseball skills. My son and I got to the park before him and after a few minutes of waiting I called him to find out where he was. Depending on your point of view it was either fortunate or unfortunate that he was late. When I looked at my phone I noticed I had several voice mails and missed calls from work. It could only mean something bad, which it was, and I wound up having to deal with work related issues while Chris (he had arrived by now) taught my son and his kids how to throw a baseball. I had to deal with work related issues for about an hour before I could finally join in the fun.

After a couple of hours in the park, we returned home and had lunch. My father-in-law was over and I had him drive me to pick up my bike from R&A Cycles. I brought it in for a pre IMLP tune-up. They were courteous and took good care of the bike. This is the second time I’ve been treated well in the shop and it looks like I will depend on them more in the future.

My son has also been bugging my wife and I to buy him a guitar and to send him for lessons. I found a local guitar place - Amp & Guitar Wellness Center which was very helpful and had the perfect guitar for him. I even signed him up for lessons while there. I was so incredibly happy to find a place literally around the corner from me. My daughter and her friend accompanied us to the store and we listened to the salesperson play it for a while.

After we left the store, I took the kids grocery shopping to get supplies for dinner at my home with Larry and Todd. It was the second annual Pre Placid Pasta Shindig. I had to deal with more work related issues while I was trying to prepare our food. Fortunately I cleared them up by the time we were ready to sit down and eat. While we ate, we were treated to a concert by the kids with my daughter on keyboards, her friend singing and my son strumming his guitar. It made for a cacophonous evening.

Around the time that Todd was getting ready to leave; my son got the idea of taking his guitar and case to our front stoop where he could leave the case open and try to collect money by playing for passing strangers. My daughter always being the helpful one, wrote a sign that said “Help Me Pay for Guitar Lessons” which we hung up next to him. My daughter and her friend would on occasion sing or dance while someone came by and played lookout for people heading down our block. Unfortunately, foot traffic down my block is not is not heavy, especially after 7pm on a summer’s weekend evening. However, by the end of the night he made close to 4 bucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home