Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, November 14, 2005

Mondays

I was watching a children’s show called “Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide” and the topic of the day was how to survive Mondays. After some relatively childish ideas presented throughout the show, it ended with Ned suggesting that you do some things that make you feel happy or look forward to on Mondays. This way Monday wouldn’t be such a drag.

One of the ideas during the show was to wear a favorite pair of underwear. Since my favorite pair of underwear is no underwear at all, perhaps I should go commando on Mondays. I do get such a great feeling of freedom when I am not all tightly packaged. Of course, the only thing I have to worry about then is what if I get into an accident and need to be taken to the hospital? Mother always said to make sure you wear a clean pair in case such an unfortunate event should happen. Then again I’ve already been taken to the hospital after a bike wreck and I wasn’t wearing underwear. No one seemed to care. I suppose no underwear is infinitely preferable to dirty, skid stained, stinky underwear.

This past Saturday I watched the NBC coverage of the 2005 Ironman. The show was ok, but no where near as good as last year’s coverage. One of the athletes they featured was Norman Stradler, the winner of last year’s Ironman. This year he had no such luck as he decided to DNF after suffering multiple flats and a bee sting. They showed Norman crying like a baby and having a hissy fit in which he throws his very expensive Kuota bike to the side of the road. What horrible blasphemy to the sport of Triathlon. Norman exhibited some of the worst sportsmanship I have ever seen. Too bad he wasn’t mature enough to act like a man and set an example for everyone watching him and try to complete the race. I hope he regretted his decision to DNF and his actions on the course the following Monday morning.

A very hot discussion thread about this topic appeared on Slowtwitch.com soon after the NBC coverage. You can see it all by clicking here, including the couple of posts that I included here, here and here.

My coach left a comment for me regarding my previous posting. He basically warned me that I have a couple of weeks before he starts to get on my case to start training again. I took this message to heart and started to do some of the little things to get back into training. I stretched, did some core strength exercises and most importantly, got out on my bike on Saturday and ran on Sunday. Both training sessions were very comfortable and felt very good. Sunday’s run in particular was excellent as I ran with my good friend Larry along the water by the Verrazano Bridge. It was pleasant and mild, both in terms of weather and effort.

Today though (Monday), I kind of let myself slack off again. Fortunately all that is scheduled is an easy 30 minute run. I still have time to do it, so hopefully I will get it in at lunch or this evening before dinner. I have been having a lot of trouble waking up in the morning, especially Mondays and I have to figure out how to get my act together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home