Sponsors




Blogs




www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cao5765. Make your own badge here.

Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, October 15, 2005

A Painful 20 Miles

Today was without a doubt one of the most painful 20 mile runs I have ever done. It was like I never ran anything near this distance. My legs started out feeling slightly painful and that feeling continued throughout the run. If I wasn’t so close to the NYC Marathon, I would definitely have bailed on the idea of completing a 20 miler. However, I knew that if I stood any chance of having a reasonably successful marathon race, I had to get at least one 20 mile run before I showed up at the starting line in Staten Island.

The day was still heavily overcast when I began and my shins were aching considerably. I was a bit surprised that I felt like this, as I took the previous day off and I didn’t feel like I was tired. I guess the run on Thursday took more out of me than I thought. The only good thing about the run was that I was able to complete it in a reasonable amount of time – 3:07:57 and that my HR was good 150/162. I do think my HR was a bit high for the run, but it was considerably breezy and I did take a course that loops up and down many times.

The one particular thing I noticed in Prospect Park this morning was the overwhelming number of people wearing a Jackrabbit logo on their shirt or hat. There were so many of these Jackrabbit logos that if you were unfamiliar with the store on 7th Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn, you would think that the symbol was for some weird religious cult. Then again, those who are hooked on endurance athletics do form their own sort of cultish society.

As I finished my run and started walking home, my legs felt completely spent. I went to step up on the sidewalk near my house and almost tripped as I failed to lift my right foot high enough to clear the curb. Getting in my front door was also difficult. The high humidity and rain has caused the door to swell, making it slightly too large for the door frame. It took every last ounce of strength in my body to push it open. Hopefully I won’t feel like this on Marathon Day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I'm trying to exercise more, I find your blog totally fascinating, and yet it is so wild I find it hard to believe. How do your kids and wife deal with your obsession? Do you have a job? When did you first start being totally consumed with exercise -- was it before or after marriage? Do you have any other hobbies? I'd love to know. Interestingly, instead of inspiring me, your tales of intensive training made me want to eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's and hide under the covers. But I'm sure people who are into what you do feel exactly the opposite. Anyway, good luck.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Charles is obviously very good and very disciplined. But I don't think you should that hard to believe ... there are whole communities of people like him.

I kinda feel like throwing down the gauntlet here Charles. As much as I admire your story of endurance from the Yom Kippur Marathon, I feel it was a foolish move so close to NYC. In contrast I am feeling strong and speedy as I begin my taper ... like I am up for kicking some serious butt. I feel a small wager would be in order.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home